Biocube 32 stocking

Zackhavey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting my biocube 32 going. Mostly a reef tank (will take advise on good hardy starter corals also) but I'm looking for good fish for the tank. I already have two black ocellaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby. I know I don't want stock a bunch in a small tank, so what would be a good centerpiece fish. Something that will stay near the front of the tank or at least not hide, maybe something that like to move around a bunch.
Thanks for the help guys.

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting my biocube 32 going. Mostly a reef tank (will take advise on good hardy starter corals also) but I'm looking for good fish for the tank. I already have two black ocellaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby. I know I don't want stock a bunch in a small tank, so what would be a good centerpiece fish. Something that will stay near the front of the tank or at least not hide, maybe something that like to move around a bunch.
Thanks for the help guys.
Ok some tips Zoas arent the easiest corals they get sick in so many different ways. A nice centerpiece fish would be a type of wrasse a 32 is to small for anything besides either a sixline or possum wrasse. I would get a pair of sixlines so they arent aggressive.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub angel!! I’ve got mine in a 20. Model coral citizen and best buddies with my clown pair, they all sleep together and even steal each other’s food!! I’ve witnessed the angel stealing from the clowns and the clowns stealing from the angel, no bullying just a little bit of sibling rivalry.
B457E147-D9E9-4A9A-9FFB-2521AC3A9BD6.jpeg
52252E4B-83C5-4813-811E-5CC42B7318B4.jpeg
DBEDF317-EA1E-44F5-B2F5-13FDD3FE4021.jpeg
4B5BAC0D-E831-4034-A095-89A52D2580F1.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Starters would be xenia, zoa, mushrooms and leathers
Seems everyone has clowns in their bio cubes. Firefish goby, banghai cardinal snd twin spot goby would offer color and movement. 6 line wrasse also

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely try Duncan as a starter if you’ve got clowns. Mine host my Duncan but dont even look at my massive BTA that I got just for them

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to cherub
Bangaii cardinals are also pretty cool

I would say other centropyge but the cube size kinda limits the swim area verses a shallow but longer tank

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think six lines are a good idea. A pink streak wrasse is a better choice, but, like possum wrasses they are somewhat cryptic.

I think a fang blenny is a good choice for a fish that doesnt hide and will work well in your tank, a bunch of species to choose from, and you can even get them captive bred

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cherub is a bit of a risk, some have an ok time with them in smaller tanks, others find them too aggressive and/or coral nippers. Its a choice you can make, but just know the risks

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starters would be xenia, zoa, mushrooms and leathers
Seems everyone has clowns in their bio cubes. Firefish goby, banghai cardinal snd twin spot goby would offer color and movement. 6 line wrasse also

When you say twin spot goby what species do you mean? Signigobius biocellatus is pretty hard to keep fed and often dies. A captive bred rainford that you see eating froZen/pellets at the store is a better choice

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cherub is a bit of a risk, some have an ok time with them in smaller tanks, others find them too aggressive and/or coral nippers. Its a choice you can make, but just know the risks
I’ve had several cherubs, if it’s properly fed you will not have any issues from them regarding your corals. I’ve kept all of mine with clams, gonis, zoas, sps, etc for significant amounts of time (several months-a couple years) and as long as the cherubs weren’t going hungry I had no issues. Just make sure they get a couple of bits and pieces, they will also peck on your rocks for algae.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes feeding well tends to decrease likelihood of a dwarf angel picking on coral, as does keeping coral super healthy. Many have found angels will pick on sick or injured corals. What size tank did you have? Larger tanks also help. Anyway Feeding well reduces the risk, but its still much more of a risk than a planktivore or a fish that is more of an algaevore, if you go on vacation for 2 days you can probably skip feeding a tank of gobies, clowns and cardinalfish, but a pygmy angel not so much. the OP should decide what level of care and risk theyre willing to take on. It it were me id be sorely tempted to try

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When you say twin spot goby what species do you mean? Signigobius biocellatus is pretty hard to keep fed and often dies. A captive bred rainford that you see eating froZen/pellets at the store is a better choice
Omg- meant Tailspot blenny

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the pink-streaked wrasse. I have one in my Biocube and he's out and about around 75% of the time. Their colors are so pretty under LEDs and no aggression issues.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought a coral beauty angel for our biocube 32 and its always swimming, picking at rocks and substrate . The clownfish, and firefish get along great with it too.

thaistyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a biocube 32 before and the only coral i could grow was LPS with the stock lightings. Wasted plenty of $$$ testing to see if SPS would survive. I also had a goby that somehow manage to disappear, might have jumped but I was never able to find it. Learn from my mistakes.

ExpensiveSushi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newer Biocube 32 setup, started in April. Stocklist I have in the order of entry is:
- 2 Clown (Mocha and std)
- 1 Halloween, 3 scarlet, 2 blue leg hermit, handful of snails
- Purple Firefish
- Rainford Goby
- Scarlet cleaner shrimp
- Yellow Clown Goby

I'm super-happy with the firefish, Rainford, and Clown goby. My clowns have chosen to host in the back corner which makes them only interesting at feeding time.

I'm anxiously waiting for a pink streaked wrasse to round out my fish. Probably on the upper end of fish count, but all are super peaceful and not very big.

I've been building my copepod population for my rainford, but he's been in a month and eats great.

For corals, I'm still in trial and error phase. So far I'm seeing good success with gorgonians and euphyllia. I have a duncan that up to 2 days ago was going crazy, putting on five (!) heads in the last 6 wks. He's not happy at the moment.

Mixed on Zoas - not horrible, not fantastic.

Almost certainly a nutrient issue across the board on the corals. Need to get comfortable feeding more to get my nitrates/phosphates a bit higher.

hth - E/S

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually about to start a BioCube 32g as well! I'm currently thinking:

Clown pair
Goby + pistol shrimp pair
Bicolor or tailspot blenny
Pink-streaked wrasse
Green clown goby

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok some tips Zoas arent the easiest corals they get sick in so many different ways. A nice centerpiece fish would be a type of wrasse a 32 is to small for anything besides either a sixline or possum wrasse. I would get a pair of sixlines so they arent aggressive.
I would be very careful stocking with 6 line or even 2. They need lots of space as they are constantly swimming and darting around. While I have not experience, many hobbiest will tell you they turn aggressive in small spaces...

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub angel!! I’ve got mine in a 20. Model coral citizen and best buddies with my clown pair, they all sleep together and even steal each other’s food!! I’ve witnessed the angel stealing from the clowns and the clowns stealing from the angel, no bullying just a little bit of sibling rivalry.
B457E147-D9E9-4A9A-9FFB-2521AC3A9BD6.jpeg
52252E4B-83C5-4813-811E-5CC42B7318B4.jpeg
DBEDF317-EA1E-44F5-B2F5-13FDD3FE4021.jpeg
4B5BAC0D-E831-4034-A095-89A52D2580F1.jpeg
Awesome! I almost picked one up today! I got two zebra striped blennies instead but I think I may get the Cherub. It's so pretty. I was just worried since most angels need more space.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back