Biocube 32g LED build

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of folks mount them on the back, vertical or horizontal. One note, set the controller to constant speed at 0% before you turn it on in the tank. They usually come factory set to 100% and more than one person has created a sand storm in their smaller tanks as well as a tsunami in their living room.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a biocube 32, great tank. I have the Rapid LED conversion with a bluefish controller & it's great. I can grow anything in my little tank. Only other things I've added are the in tank media basket with chaeto, a light on the back for the chaeto, upgraded the return pump & added the Hydor 425 pumps & wave controller (though I wish I had more flow for my acros). Recently bought a doser to keep up with demand, as my acros are growing like weeds. Also have zoas, candy canes, nems, montis, & hammers in the tank... all thrive.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys, update here!

So, rock and sand are in, everything went according to plan there. Picked up the IceCap Gyre1K as was suggested, seems like an awesome choice. Ammonia is about .25PPM today, so I will do a water change and hopefully take that down a bit.

A bunch of hermits came on the rock/with the sand with a number of small snails and feather dusters. All of which are still alive, so I think tank parameters must be OKAY thus far. The rock looks great, however I think it may be TOO full when I get the second half from Tampa Bay... I may have to buy a small nano tank to pop that rock in, which would be fine. Here are a few pics of the rock, keep in mind it was a bit "dusty" still-

rock3.jpg
rock4.jpg
rock2.jpg
rock1.jpg

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates, got your updates here!

Okay, second half of the rock arrived on Tuesday along with some critters from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Critters included a peppermint shrimp, some unknown anemone (pic below), a number of hermits, a bittle star and a serpent star. Overall, I'm very happy with TBS and would order from them again. The only drawback is the cost of the freight, which was about $230 all together... It is, what it is.

So, there's definitely TOO much rock in the display, so I'm deciding whether I want to use it for another little tank, or add a sump under the tank... Tanks a bit cloudy still, but overall looks nice. There's a cleaner shrimp in the tank, and he seems to be doing well. Ammonia is around 0.5ppm today, going to take out 5 gallons after work today, then again tomorrow. Added a poly filter and Chemi Pure Blue, hopefully that helps keep the water quality up a bit.

4-4.jpg
anem 4-4.jpg
shrimp 4-4.jpg

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update here:

All seems to be going well, API test kits are showing the water is cycled and SHOULD be good to add some fish in there... So, wish my luck on that front!

Currently, there is 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp (came with live rock), a few cleanup crew starfish, a sand conch, a green bubble tip anemone, a flower anemone and some acans & zoanthids. Everything is doing well, hoping to pickup up 2 designer clownfish this weekend (probably 1 picasso, 1 black ice or similar).

Here are 2 shots of my acans looking hungry and happy:

acan2.jpg acan1.jpg

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on the tank! yes it is a flower anemone....cool critters...I collect them in the keys and they are very long lived.....may years...just feed her fresh raw seafood and you will have a happy camper.....good job on the aquascape....and welcome to REAL live rock and real live SAND!:)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back