Biocube 32g LED build

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! This is my first post on the forum...

Anyway, I'm getting back into the hobby after taking about 3-4 years off (I was traveling a TON for work and moving frequently, making it impossible to care for a tank). So, I'm hopping back in with the 32G Biocube w/ the LED lighting.

The tank is supposed to arrive any minute now, actually. Then, it's off to the LFS to get some premix as my rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock arrives shortly. I've always used store bought/wholesaler bought live rock, the stuff that's "damp" at best, so I'm curious to see how this goes! So far, working with the folks at Tampa Bay has been great, very excited to see this stuff when it shows.

This tank will be mostly used for small frags of acans, zoanthids, chalice, and some euphyllia (my favorite) and other hardy but "showy" corals and inverts. The fish plan is 2 clownfish (probably a picasso or some variety like that with a midnight, we shall see), a blue spot jawfish (my old love) and possible a tank raised green mandarin (crazy to see these, just a few years ago this was just a pipe dream). If the bioload is handled well, maybe a flameback angel, too... Again, we shall see!

Hope you guys are in for the journey, and can update me on some of the new stuff we've learned over the past few years (amazing how fast this hobby evolves).

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby! There are several of us running a 32 Biocube. Can't wait to see pics of this bad boy up and going! :)

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby! There are several of us running a 32 Biocube. Can't wait to see pics of this bad boy up and going! :)
Thanks! Besides the Steves LED mods, what other major changes have you seen folks do? I like the InTank media basket, so I'm definitely throwing that guy in there. I figure it's best to NOT overcomplicate the system yet, and add new accessories as needed. However, my gut tells me the stock LEDs are not going to be as pretty as the Steve's stuff...

Judi M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Judi M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thoughts on a wavemaker? I always liked the look in a big reef, not sure if they make a good nano option nowadays?
I bought the "Hydor circulation and wave 425 GPH pump" for about $35 and so far it seems to be working well. I have read of several people adding 2 of these but not sure if that is needed in this size tank?
I also bought the In Tank Media basket and In Tank Refugium that fit well. So far, I have filter floss on the top of the media basket and bottom I have rock rubble. In the fuge I have chaeto. At some point I will probably add Chemipure to 2nd shelf in Media basket and possible Purigen (I bought both of these as this seems to be a popular set up with these in biotanks but some feedback from others is to wait and not add these until there is an issue).

I am currently in a "ugly" phase with brown diatoms in full swing Grrr.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I first purchased my live rock from Tampa Bay SW WAAAAAYYYY back when I first set up the tank that I recently re-set up after 13 years out of the hobby. The rock was full of life. About 60% or so eventually perished but it was not a dramatic crash. I just kept up regular water changes to combat nutrient peaks. Worked out well for me in the long run though. Looking forward to the build and all the photos. We are kind of photo needy here.
Following along ...

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thoughts on a wavemaker? I always liked the look in a big reef, not sure if they make a good nano option nowadays?
The Icecap 1k does great in our Biocube, we have it set on Gyre mode. Currently it is a nem tank with a few frags and a nice Duncan colony. Plenty of flow. On my big tank I'm running 2 3ks and just added 2 Eflux wave pumps for a little more flow due to the tank shape. I like them so far and I "think" the have a nano version. I'm sure someone will chime in and give recommendations on Wave pumps.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The IceCap 1k Gyre is a solid option for flow. It is small and one end can be capped to run it at an even smaller size. It is 8.8” full and I believe 6.7” with one end capped.

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The IceCap 1k Gyre is a solid option for flow. It is small and one end can be capped to run it at an even smaller size. It is 8.8” full and I believe 6.7” with one end capped.

Wow, this thing is very different from what I'm used to! I was going to grab a Nano Koralia and their wavemaker... Do you think this IceCap would be a better bet? New to me!

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman @hdsoftail1065 all the videos I can find of this IceCap Gyre 1k the people have mounted them on the sides of the tanks... Not a HUGE fan of this, as the tank is positioned to be viewed from the sides, as well. Can I mount this thing on the back? Or, would that be a better time to use either the Koralia or Vortech wavemaker (more of a standard powerhead)?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 build thread too, if you want to see it and maybe give you some ideas?
Excellent idea,
@NY_Caveman @hdsoftail1065 all the videos I can find of this IceCap Gyre 1k the people have mounted them on the sides of the tanks... Not a HUGE fan of this, as the tank is positioned to be viewed from the sides, as well. Can I mount this thing on the back? Or, would that be a better time to use either the Koralia or Vortech wavemaker (more of a standard powerhead)?
Sure you can mount it on the back in a vertical position. I place it on the 3rd chamber area.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back