New 32 gal Oceanic Biocube Build

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want 0 ammonia. Calcium is really low (should be around 380-450), given you dont have any sps, Im curious whats consuming it. Take a Ca reading on fresh saltwater mix. You also dont need two part right now because theres nothing consuming Ca/alkalinity

OP
OP
Judi M

Judi M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I rcvd my 2 part dosing today, but don't think I'm going to use it:

Saturday, my calcium was 250 and today it's at 430? I even re tested and same 430! What would cause it to rise?

What a change it 2 days between testing!
Sat afternoon, I added a capful of Biospira and a few drops of phytoplankton. Would that have caused such a change in my test results in 2 days?

Am I correct in thinking that my numbers are all spot on except for magnesium and nitrates?

Do I need to do anything to lower nitrates or is that all part of the process? Or is the chaeto helping?

Feels like i need a chemistry degree with all of this!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my tank is covered in brown ugh! Just wiped green off walls. Should I add chemipure and purigen now?
Nah :) . Have patience.. my first year was full of these type of issues. Till the tank establishes.. and develops its own bacterial/micor fauna population you'll have some of these issue.. just keep chugging along and keep doing weekly water changes and only react if something really bad happens.. like something dies or you develop some persistent algae issue etc.
Unless you are very lucky, you are likey to hit diatom/dino/cyano one by one... but none of them should be unmanagable if you act promptly and act persistently by sustainable means (no heavy chemical use ..no sudden chemistry changes). my 2 cents :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your numbers look fine. I would only use chemicals as a last resort for major issues. Your tank is new and maturing. Algae and other nuisances are part of that process of course. As far as your Calcium I would chalk that low reading up to test error and move on. We all get the occasional outlier.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. hold on to purigen unless you see algae growth (i.e. phosphates accumulation).. and hold on to carbon till the water turns little yellow..depending upon your bioload the time may varies from couple of weeks to two or three months... whenever you introduce them , skip water change for that week.

OP
OP
Judi M

Judi M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This article is focused on fish-so same process with floating bag, testing salinity? Do you usually QT corals? Do you dip? (Still waiting to hear back from CoralRX to see if its safe to use on ricordea and rock flower anemones.)

I swear, I don't have enough hours in my day right now for all the researching/reading LOL (simultaneously researching coral acclimation and macroalgies-natural vrs chemical reef care)

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article is focused on fish-so same process with floating bag, testing salinity? Do you usually QT corals? Do you dip? (Still waiting to hear back from CoralRX to see if its safe to use on ricordea and rock flower anemones.)

I swear, I don't have enough hours in my day right now for all the researching/reading LOL (simultaneously researching coral acclimation and macroalgies-natural vrs chemical reef care)
Slow and steady is the key. If you do it right lay down a stocking plan. In between adding new additions you will have time to research and learn.
I have not moved into RFA's yet, I have always had BTA's. I never dip anenmomes. I can ping a couple of folks that have experience with them. @Ron Reefman @mta_morrow @Katrina71

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady is the key. If you do it right lay down a stocking plan. In between adding new additions you will have time to research and learn.
I have not moved into RFA's yet, I have always had BTA's. I never dip anenmomes. I can ping a couple of folks that have experience with them. @Ron Reefman @mta_morrow @Katrina71

Hello!

For me, I always dip my corals.

However, I have never dipped a ricordia.

Also, I have never dipped an anemone (BTA, Rick flower, long tentacle, or Magnifica)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back