New 32 gal Oceanic Biocube Build

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had one jump while tying to clean or place coral But anytime my hand goes into the tank my maroon female grows fangs, gets an evil look and attacks. Try dropping a few pellets in maybe that will keep it pre occupied or try a mirror, maybe it will keep itself entertained. Now when dealing with mine I just put on my glove and ignore her. Maybe someone will chime in with a crafty idea.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention/ ask: yesterday when adding coral, our female clown ( from our bonded pair) kept attacking my husband, jumping up at him, head butting, and twice landed on the floor. She seems fine (despite 4 ft drop) but how do we prevent this everytime we clean and do water changes? Never had this when i kept clowns years ago. :-(

Clowns are damsels and as such, some of them can be quite aggressive. I had one that would bite me every time my hand went in the tank... even when feeding!

OP
OP
Judi M

Judi M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont keep xenia (or blue xenia), clove polyp , gsp. They encrust rock, which is why its hard to get rid of them. Frogspawn, hammer etc may grow fast, but if you want, its relatively easy to frag them off. They grow big, which is the main reason I would hesitate to keep them , since I dont want to relocate corals in my tank for several years, and I also want space for other things.
Zoa's are good choice, can lords are good choice, there are some cyphastrea and leptoseris that will be good. Remember, other than your isolated island, you can also your rockscape the kinda segregate the corals, they all avoid shaded places, so wherever you have two rock faces separated by a shaded place, they are perfect to keep separate fast growing corals.
Another point to consider is that you can keep some smaller polyp softies, like some zoa or cloves or some monties that are encrusting on the base , while grow some branching hard corals on the same rock, its very much like you have a big tree (branching coral) and grass/shrubs in the ground (encrusting corals, cloves/zoas). This work out becuase the shade produced by the branching corals inhibit the encrusting coral to grow towards its base and encrusting itself. You have to rememver to add the branching coral first, and then introduce the encrusting one later, and the whole thing needs to be done in a way that considers those corals growth rates.

Anyway.. dont want to side track the thread :), but I think rockscaping and coral placement is a very involved thing and I was only able to understand some aspects of it after couple of years of reef keeping when I realized how individual corals grow and how flow, light & rockscape controls their direction of growth/sweeper tentacles etc.
I am trying to study coral interaction/ placement/ requirements now. Have several books on the way to me. How did you figure out what all could be placed together etc.?? Also, fyi I am using stock led lights right now so sticking with soft and lps. Any recommendations for some of the"tree" like corals that would work? Was reading about some possible leather corals- toadstool mushroom leather arms spaghetti finger leather? Stil looking into them...

Judi, nice little star!

So how big is your RFA? And I assume you have a sandy bottom? How deep in the sand?

I've taken many of my bigger ones and put them in a PVC pipe end cap. BTW PVC end caps are cheap and can easily be cut shorter if your sand isn't deep enough. They come in different sizes so you can find one that's about the correct size for the foot to fit into and have a bit of room to grow. After the RFA is attached to the bottom inside of the end cap, you can place it in the sand and push the end cap in until it almost disappears. If left like that for a couple of weeks, it's very unlikely the RFA will move. They like being in the sand and having their foot in a hard hole they can hide in. After a 2 or 3 weeks, I can push the end cap all the way into the sand so it really can't be seen and every RFA I've done this to has stayed in place. Even when pulled back out of the sand and moved to a different tank! There is a bit more about the idea in the RFA discussion linked in the signature at the bottom of this post.

20181128_081444.jpg

Awesome! Have a feeling we will be adding more rfa in the future and will try this!!

@Judi M! Love your tank. I'm building a 280 g right now but, my son who is just two and a half years old wants this tank like right now. I was thinking about getting a 50 gallon SC Aquarium just to keep him occupied while I'm doing this build. I must say that these smaller reef tanks are quite cool!
Lol i hope someday to go bigger but this is already costing more than planned and a good start ti get my feet wet again. So fun your son in interested too!!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol i hope someday to go bigger but this is already costing more than planned and a good start to get my feet wet again. So fun your son in interested too!!

One of the really nice things about a smaller tank is that they are easier to fill and make them look mature rather than spending a fortune on corals for a big tank full of coral or waiting 2,3 or 5 years for corals to grow enough to make a big tank look full. I've had a 75g, a 120g and even a 180g tanks and they are fun, but a small tank, especially once you come to really know what you want, is so easy to do and easy to maintain and care for. My 40g is only just over a year old and I have to be very careful about buying any coral because I already don't have much, if any, room for more!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention/ ask: yesterday when adding coral, our female clown ( from our bonded pair) kept attacking my husband, jumping up at him, head butting, and twice landed on the floor. She seems fine (despite 4 ft drop) but how do we prevent this everytime we clean and do water changes? Never had this when i kept clowns years ago. :-(
Try keeping the net handy. Fish always seem to run from the net in fear. Ages ago I used to just drop the net in the water to keep my shrimp from climbing all over me when working in the tank. Nothing stressful, just there as a warning.

OP
OP
Judi M

Judi M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try keeping the net handy. Fish always seem to run from the net in fear. Ages ago I used to just drop the net in the water to keep my shrimp from climbing all over me when working in the tank. Nothing stressful, just there as a warning.
Thank you I will try that!!

How long after a water change do I need to wait, before testing parameters?

OP
OP
Judi M

Judi M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I love diving!

I have to be honest. . we were there for honeymoon and didn't dive or snorkel :-( some of these pics were from glass bottom boat.
However, this really inspired me and want to get scuba certified now. We've missed a couple really good opportunities traveling the past few years, so its overdue. But we were able to see so much just going in the water too...reefs were so closer to shore

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be honest. . we were there for honeymoon and didn't dive or snorkel :-( some of these pics were from glass bottom boat.
However, this really inspired me and want to get scuba certified now. We've missed a couple really good opportunities traveling the past few years, so its overdue. But we were able to see so much just going in the water too...reefs were so closer to shore
That’s so cool! Those boats are really neat. I do deffinetly recommend getting certified though, it’s truly amazing to be down there, you will love it.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will try that!!

How long after a water change do I need to wait, before testing parameters?
I always wait at least an hour, but admit that is arbitrary. Probably not that long at all really.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to study coral interaction/ placement/ requirements now. Have several books on the way to me. How did you figure out what all could be placed together etc.?? Also, fyi I am using stock led lights right now so sticking with soft and lps. Any recommendations for some of the"tree" like corals that would work? Was reading about some possible leather corals- toadstool mushroom leather arms spaghetti finger leather? Stil looking into them...

Awesome! Have a feeling we will be adding more rfa in the future and will try this!!

Lol i hope someday to go bigger but this is already costing more than planned and a good start ti get my feet wet again. So fun your son in interested too!!
This is my Biocube 4 months old. The toadstool mushroom looks great. However, as you can see the placement is in the wrong spot for future corals and growth. As everyone says, research harder work slower. I like your aquascape.
20190331_103425.jpeg

OP
OP
Judi M

Judi M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Biocube 4 months old. The toadstool mushroom looks great. However, as you can see the placement is in the wrong spot for future corals and growth. As everyone says, research harder work slower. I like your aquascape.
20190331_103425.jpeg
Your tank looks great!
Absolutely! I am on hold for awhile, to plan out what all we really want in the tank, compatability, stability etc.. (waiting on a bunch of books, reading researching etc.) however, I'm in love with rfa and wouldn't mind a rfa dominated tank.
While i never had a problem with kenya, zoa, xenia taking over in my past tank, and i loved those,... reading here sounds like they could quickly get out of hand

OP
OP
Judi M

Judi M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are now all within range except for nitrate is still at 4 ppm. Will this eventually come down?

Also can calcium ever be too high? At 450 ppm and its been creeping up slightly each time.
TY

Ammonia 0
Calc 450
Alk 9.9
Mag 1260
Nitrate 4ppm
Phos .02
Salinity 1.023

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 144 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back