Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9D25F5DD-6ED2-4E6D-B771-202C44D0DE0B.jpeg

Came home to the second aiptasia being gone, and this little dude chilling pretty close to where it was :star-struck:
Congrats

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
9D25F5DD-6ED2-4E6D-B771-202C44D0DE0B.jpeg

Came home to the second aiptasia being gone, and this little dude chilling pretty close to where it was :star-struck:

Just a nice little read up if you like. The tail is brightly colored and I think that rules out boggessi who eats coral and other live stock.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update on the new media basket for the cube…. Overall I’m really happy with the change. It appears that my nitrates are not climbing as high over the week. This resulted in me doing a 5 gallon water change instead of the weekly 10. I will be please if this maintains, because that’s less maintenance costs overall. I’ll reevaluate in a few more weeks but overall, I’m please with results thus far. :star-struck:
Sexy The Voice GIF

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So update on the new media basket for the cube…. Overall I’m really happy with the change. It appears that my nitrates are not climbing as high over the week. This resulted in me doing a 5 gallon water change instead of the weekly 10. I will be please if this maintains, because that’s less maintenance costs overall. I’ll reevaluate in a few more weeks but overall, I’m please with results thus far. :star-struck:
one bucket is better than two!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started a thing yesterday :dizzy-face:
046E6D42-B5A1-4D00-AA75-1BEE0799A49A.jpeg

dun dun wow GIF

I don't have the dreaded red planaraia flatworms. They are just the regular ghost flatworms. I have contemplated even doing anything, vs natural predators etc. They've been in the tank for several months now and don't really seem to bother anything. HOWEVER, they do seem to be increasing in numbers and I don't really want to transfer them over to my Biocube when I move over the coral and inverts. The evo is fishless, so that isn't an option, and access to nudibranchs is pretty non existent. So I decided to go with Flatworm Exit.
Bold Strategy Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I tried to siphon out as many as I could. I have low nutrient issues in the tank, so I wanted to keep the water I siphoned out. I used an airline tube and my brine shrimp net to run the water through to catch the flatworms before going into the bucket. I had my husband hold the tube over the net, which he was SUPER PLEASED about. :face-with-rolling-eyes::face-with-rolling-eyes::face-with-rolling-eyes: He kept asking how long it was going to take and couldn't I have just figured out a way to rig it so he didn't have to hold it...........

Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

The end result was pleasing.... some sand and nori did end up in the trap as well.
IMG_2973.jpg

I then dumped the water back into the tank. and proceed with treatment. I did a regular dose and the flatworms were instantly ticked. I took a video of them moving around furiously within 30 seconds of adding it.

I ended up waiting 45 minutes. There were still some crawling around on the glass, so added 5 more drops. Then I waited a little bit before adding the carbon. I'm going to do another dose every other day for about a week to make sure I get all the little boogers. So far all the coral is un-phased.
Thats all for now. I have an insane week ahead and wont be able to comment much, but I will be popping in on everyones threads and at least trying to stay current. Hope everyone had a nice weekend!
Good Night Goodbye GIF by Ryn Dean

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that's no fun. The stuff does work pretty well and I think you're doing the right thing by hitting the tank repeatedly for a bit. When I did two treatments initially, I ended up seeing worms again a few days later. But several over the course of a two week period, it appears to have done the trick.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Way to go sucking some out first! I've read of horror stories as people watched everything in their tank get ammonia burn from all the dead flatworms.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go sucking some out first! I've read of horror stories as people watched everything in their tank get ammonia burn from all the dead flatworms.
WOW! yeah I couldn't even see any on the coral, so I don't think it was a bad infestation and they never get very big like the red planaria. i just ran home for something and all the coral looks happy and fluffy :star-struck: .
Great job, Becky! Let’s destroy the flatworms.

Fire Elmo GIF
:face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the evo with a full tank shot
C62849CE-7A31-4566-A15B-0B3D8786062E.jpeg

Some up close
E491938D-2E1B-46BB-9150-A4170D2692BB.jpeg

40059415-3F48-429D-9EEF-1163E56A88DE.jpeg

The flatworm exit doesn’t seem to helping past the first treatment. I have treated several
Times and even up to 3x the dose and the remaining flatworms just chill on the glass like they are laying on beach sipping pina coladas :face-with-rolling-eyes: :face-with-rolling-eyes: :face-with-rolling-eyes: . Other than that every thing else in the evo seems to be doing well! Not sure what to do about the flatworms as we are getting closer to moving everyone over to cube to make room for some new juicy beauties.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks so full so soon! Uchhhh, I can’t wait. Mines taking forrrevveerrrr.

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reminder about the heater being in the return! That’s why we didn’t end up putting it there in our biocube. I’ll have to rethink that. I love the idea of your setup..However, to be honest I feel a little intimidated by the idea of refugiums. Would love to know a little bit more about yours.
I agree with him. I have the same tank and have my cheato on the way w/ a UV sterilizer (3w) arriving on the 9th. I didn't know about the heat and will be moving it today. Would love to see both of your set up.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the evo with a full tank shot
C62849CE-7A31-4566-A15B-0B3D8786062E.jpeg

Some up close
E491938D-2E1B-46BB-9150-A4170D2692BB.jpeg

40059415-3F48-429D-9EEF-1163E56A88DE.jpeg

The flatworm exit doesn’t seem to helping past the first treatment. I have treated several
Times and even up to 3x the dose and the remaining flatworms just chill on the glass like they are laying on beach sipping pina coladas :face-with-rolling-eyes: :face-with-rolling-eyes: :face-with-rolling-eyes: . Other than that every thing else in the evo seems to be doing well! Not sure what to do about the flatworms as we are getting closer to moving everyone over to cube to make room for some new juicy beauties.
I wonder how a springari would fare in there..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back