Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let him sit for a bit n stop moving him about. Mine got cranky like that once in awhile without me moving it... now Timmy just munches on it so it never opens.

what was it down to?
it started somewhere between 5.7 and 6.. I got both those readings on Wednesday and I think I might have been a little off when I got the 5.7 result. So I am calling it 6

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is related to the alk. You've moved quite slowly.

Leathers in my tanks always do better with medium light and high flow. I'm talking up with the sticks getting blasted 24/7 type.

Any time I've had them lower, they are more prissy and take longer to recover while pouting.

Sam's advice above is sound. Leave it for a bit to give it a chance to stop throwing a fit before moving it again.

What's your target alk? Seems you're no longer able to keep it up in good levels with water changes alone. May be time to start dosing with more regularity.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is related to the alk. You've moved quite slowly.

Leathers in my tanks always do better with medium light and high flow. I'm talking up with the sticks getting blasted 24/7 type.

Any time I've had them lower, they are more prissy and take longer to recover while pouting.

Sam's advice above is sound. Leave it for a bit to give it a chance to stop throwing a fit before moving it again.

What's your target alk? Seems you're no longer able to keep it up in good levels with water changes alone. May be time to start dosing with more regularity.
Thanks! I'd be happy anywhere between 7 and 8 as a target. I don't plan on ever trying sticks (in this tank for sure) and I never really thought it would be an issue given the amount of water changes I was doing plus I don't have a ton of coral packed there. I was actually shocked it was low. In hindsight, I feel silly for trying to correct an "issue" when no one was showing signs of distress. I wish I had crossed checked with a different test before I started making adjustments. my new test should be here tonight. I am going to check the tank water and my freshly mixed saltwater to see what the ALK readings show.

Edit to add: Im always open to suggestions. I dont really know what I am doing. :grinning-squinting-face: Aside from not being able to completely get rid of GHA, I think I have just been extremely lucky thus far.... probably because of my rigid maintenance schedule.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'd be happy anywhere between 7 and 8 as a target. I don't plan on ever trying sticks (in this tank for sure) and I never really thought it would be an issue given the amount of water changes I was doing plus I don't have a ton of coral packed there. I was actually shocked it was low. In hindsight, I feel silly for trying to correct an "issue" when no one was showing signs of distress. I wish I had crossed checked with a different test before I started making adjustments. my new test should be here tonight. I am going to check the tank water and my freshly mixed saltwater to see what the ALK readings show.

Edit to add: Im always open to suggestions. I dont really know what I am doing. :grinning-squinting-face: Aside from not being able to completely get rid of GHA, I think I have just been extremely lucky thus far.... probably because of my rigid maintenance schedule.
Bring over some water. We will throw it in my hannah.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Cronies and others I need some advice. I am really worried about my long polyp leather.
IMG_4638.jpg

I am going to through out anything I have done in the last week. It might not be related but you will have all the info.
Last Wednesday eveything was looking good. it was a snow day so I decided to run some tests on the cube (32 gallon). I dont normally check ALK in the cube because I had been doing 5 gallon water changes 1 to 2 times per week religiously for over a year. I use reef crystals. The Salifert Alk test came back close to 6. PH 8.15 calc ~450. I mixed 1/4 tsp of baking soda with tank water and dumped half of it in. Waited until the following morning and then put the other half in. I then did another 5 gallon water change because I do those on Wednsday. On Friday (48 hours later) everything was still looking fine Alk was up to 6.3. continued dosing with baking soda and my ALK was 6.8 by Sunday (48 hours later-yesterday) Sunday is when I noticed my duncan had closed. which allowed me to see some bubble alage on it i needed to take care of. I removed the frag and then placed it back on the sand because I didnt have anymore super glue. To make room I moved my Long poly leather to the back corner. It was closed all day yesterday..... leaning but upright. This morning it was still closed and now hunching over. I moved it back to its original spot in case it hated its new location. It and the duncan are still closed. Everything else is fine. The hunching over part is the most concerning part. It has never done this to me. I ordered some red sea test to cross check the salifert because the ALK doesnt make sense to me, given how frequent and the amount of water changes I do, and the other numbers Im getting. The NO3 is usually around 12 in this tank even with the water changes, so I don't think nutrients are an issue?

Any thoughts on what I should check tonight? should I run some carbon? SOS. I know that was a lot to read... TYIA

Sounds a lot like has already been mentioned in that the leather was all fine and dandy and them BOOM! You moved it and clearly hurt its feelings. My vote is to simply leave it where it was and watch it get happy again. Based on the info you shared, which was excellent, it would surprise me if it was related, at all, to your alk. Getting a new test is a great idea.

And I give you more credit than, "I don't really know what I am doing." You clearly know how to upset a leather! So you have that going for ya! ;)

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I give you more credit than, "I don't really know what I am doing." You clearly know how to upset a leather! So you have that going for ya! ;)
:face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: I always appreciate your humorous backhanded support.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! If the new tests shows something drastically different, I will come over... unannounced :winking-face-with-tongue:.
I can almost guarantee you that the new tests will show that you need to go to @F i s h y for free wine and cheese! And beer. And vodka. And whiskey. And substances that may or may not be illegal. ;)

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can almost guarantee you that the new tests will show that you need to go to @F i s h y for free wine and cheese! And beer. And vodka. And whiskey. And substances that may or may not be illegal. ;)
Don't forget shenanigans. There is always shenanigans.
Bored Friends Tv GIF by Nick At Nite
adam devine shots GIF by Workaholics

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
some bubble alage on it i needed to take care of. I removed the frag and then placed it back on the sand because I didnt have anymore super glue.
did you get glue on the leather?

itz_jacob4268

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. Welcome back to the hobby.

***Do not put the heater in the return chamber*** the water evaporates from there and this could expose the heater causing it to crack. Put that in the first or second chamber.

I have set up a small nano again recently and use chamber 1 for a refugium, 2 for heater and some bio balls, 3 for return.

No skimmer and mechanical. Since your planning on a fish less tank this may work well for you to. Just food for thought, .

20220106_213433.jpg 20220105_133417.jpg
Where would you put the heater?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back