Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14BD0FEE-858F-4B9F-9603-8AE31E9A1E28.jpeg

So I’ve had this rock flower for 6+ months. It has a gorgeous orange coloration. It was a complete monster when I got it. Over time it has slowly gotten smaller and smaller. Nothing else looks wrong with it except it’s shrinking in size. Rock flowers that I got a fraction of its size, are now WAY bigger than it. I do feed it periodically, probably as much as the others. I did try searching for other information on this scenario and didn’t really come up anything helpful. Anyone have any thoughts why this might be occurring.
I have heard that shrinkage happens in cold water. With some things. Not rock flowers.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
14BD0FEE-858F-4B9F-9603-8AE31E9A1E28.jpeg

So I’ve had this rock flower for 6+ months. It has a gorgeous orange coloration. It was a complete monster when I got it. Over time it has slowly gotten smaller and smaller. Nothing else looks wrong with it except it’s shrinking in size. Rock flowers that I got a fraction of its size, are now WAY bigger than it. I do feed it periodically, probably as much as the others. I did try searching for other information on this scenario and didn’t really come up anything helpful. Anyone have any thoughts why this might be occurring.
possible depth /lighting , different origin ??

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wanderer who definitely has shrunk since it got to it's current location. I'm not sure if it's lighting related or damsel abuse related.
Yeah, this one is staying put kind of half way under a big leather. It is at the same light level otherwise to the others. This is the one that feeds differently though. When food hits it, the mouth swells like a hemorrhoid instead of the tentacles grabbing the food and bringing it to its mouth. I asked about this on Franks thread and someone said this was normal and likely had a different origin to the others. So it's possible that even though the environment is the same as the others, this one isn't thriving because it is different origin.

I'm just feeling kind of bummed out about my RFA situation in general. After losing those two new ones, I lost track of my favorite little baby that I got at the coral show, that had took up shop in the back. I wasn't ever able to move it to the front of the tank and now it has disappeared. I don't know if the pistol buried it or it moved. I've looked several times for it and shifted the sand around a little where it was at but nothing. It just vanished.

TLDR: I'm in a little bit of a ho hum mood when it comes to tank stuff.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this one is staying put kind of half way under a big leather. It is at the same light level otherwise to the others. This is the one that feeds differently though. When food hits it, the mouth swells like a hemorrhoid instead of the tentacles grabbing the food and bringing it to its mouth. I asked about this on Franks thread and someone said this was normal and likely had a different origin to the others. So it's possible that even though the environment is the same as the others, this one isn't thriving because it is different origin.

I'm just feeling kind of bummed out about my RFA situation in general. After losing those two new ones, I lost track of my favorite little baby that I got at the coral show, that had took up shop in the back. I wasn't ever able to move it to the front of the tank and now it has disappeared. I don't know if the pistol buried it or it moved. I've looked several times for it and shifted the sand around a little where it was at but nothing. It just vanished.

I 100% get that. I've been there many times and I'm not really sure I'm out of this current slump yet. Just using the time to focus on planning what's happening with the cube after the move to get me through it.

My engineer destroyed all my favorites in the big tank, another reason I won't have anyone like that again. So sad.

I have one that eats like that as well though. Possibly different origin? IDK, everyone in my tank currently is a FL grabbed native instead of a fancy color bomb. (I'm here for the patterning, not the colors). There's weird bumps all over this one as well. But he's not the one smaller.

I'm just stumbling around, IDK shi*

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just wait till you get the new one things will get better.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve just been dosing iodide according to the instructions the last week.. maybe it was too late to be helpful
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends
Not really. Iodine is difficult to manage, and I have kept cleaner shrimp for a max of 2 years. I am sure they live longer than that. But, lately... The last few I had passed in a month or 2.. I haven't tried in 2 years.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped five peppermint shrimp and one blood red cleaner shrimp into my tank in one go. I witnessed a peppermint shrimp get eaten immediately, and never saw a sign of any of them again since the initial day. No shrimp for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back