BioCube custom Sump

Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all.

about fed up with my In-Tank inserts for my BioCube…. Going to make a single slide in fuge/filter/bubble trap today.
Looking for recommendations of what I should include as the tank matures.
I plan to include mechanical filtration, live rock, Chaeto, and some bubble trap baffles.

suggestions of what else I might need?

(I have laser cutters and etchers for the plexi)

my current setup with the In Tank keeps pushing debris from the fuge into the tank and creates a large amount of micro-bubbles.
Also difficult to get to the macro algae or rocks without making a huge mess.

thanks
Shaggy

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s tough running a refugium in smaller tanks. If it were me, I would probably try the InTank media basket on the side where the water pours in, and run the InTank refugium basket with a bag of biomedia instead.

What are you using now for filtration and media?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaggymv

Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which BioCube model do you have and is this the regular In-Tank media basket or fuge basket?
I have the BioCube32 led and
It’s tough running a refugium in smaller tanks. If it were me, I would probably try the InTank media basket on the side where the water pours in, and run the InTank refugium basket with a bag of biomedia instead.

What are you using now for filtration and media?

I am running both in tank baskets

standard filter pad and a sponge for mechanical as it come over the skimmer/heater section. Live rock and Chaeto in the fuge basket.
not a big fan of running Carbon, as it seems to strip everything out, and haven’t really heard a compelling argument for other chemicals as my levels are good and don’t have an algae problem (knock on wood)

I’d do the bioballs except I like what the Chaeto does to control algae in the tank, and the amount of pods I can supply to the tank with it and the live rock.

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Aquamax protein skimmer and removed the silencer so I could fit it in the sump with the Inmtank media basket by cutting the bottom shamber of the basket to fit the intake of the skimmer so the skimmer pulls water through the basket from the bottom. Still a new setup so not 100% sure how itll work out. so far so good.

Attachments

• 20210916_213326.jpg
    20210916_213326.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 33
  • VideoCapture_20210919-012006.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210919-012006.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 41

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Aquamax protein skimmer and removed the silencer so I could fit it in the sump with the Inmtank media basket by cutting the bottom shamber of the basket to fit the intake of the skimmer so the skimmer pulls water through the basket from the bottom. Still a new setup so not 100% sure how itll work out. so far so good.
Are you still using the biocube lid?

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using the biocube lid?
I am using the stock hood. Im a little worried about temps with the hood though. I'm bordering a high of almost 82 im gonna try some DIY computer fans inside the hood to come on when the tank hits 80-80.5 and see if that helps. But the Aquamax skimmer is awesome i find myself turning it off a lot though, as there's not a lot of organics in the tank to begin with.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the stock hood. Im a little worried about temps with the hood though. I'm bordering a high of almost 82 im gonna try some DIY computer fans inside the hood to come on when the tank hits 80-80.5 and see if that helps. But the Aquamax skimmer is awesome i find myself turning it off a lot though, as there's not a lot of organics in the tank to begin with.
Awesome! I have the fans on my biocube. Works good for me.

@Shaggymv what do you not like about the inTank. I have cemi pure elite in one and chaeto in the other. Is it because you don’t want to run a refug?

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fans do you have?? my stock hood only seems to have a single tiny 1.5" fan

@Shaggymv what do you not like about the inTank. I have cemi pure elite in one and chaeto in the other. Is it because you don’t want to run a refug?

OP
OP
Shaggymv

Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They don’t hold my Chaeto very well and let’s bubbles and debris through, and it’s a lot of wasted space in the first tower to just run a filter pad.
I use a single fan with a temp controller… keeps it in a 2° range, but I do get salt creep buildup near where the fan blows.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t hold my Chaeto very well and let’s bubbles and debris through, and it’s a lot of wasted space in the first tower to just run a filter pad.
I use a single fan with a temp controller… keeps it in a 2° range, but I do get salt creep buildup near where the fan blows.
Definitely following along.

I do have two open chambers and only utilizing one chamber of three after the filter floss. I also get salt creep near both fans, which I run off an ink bird. It works for me so far, but always open to better ideas.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fans do you have?? my stock hood only seems to have a single tiny 1.5" fan

You can see them in my build thread. I used Velcro to attach.

Back