Biocube Lighting Explanation Please

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm looking to understand the lights on my Biocube a bit better and hopefully dial in a better schedule. I have the newer LED lights that come with the Biocube 32.

Is my understanding correct? -
First setting (LC1) - This is the on and off time for the full intensity white lights
Second setting (LC2) - This just sets a ramp-up and down for the white lights (does this actually add any different light other than ramping?)
Third setting (LC3) - This is the on/off for the blue (moonlight). Will the moonlight promote ALGAE?

My current schedule (just changed yesterday) -
ON 11:30am
OFF 18:30pm

SUNRISE 11:00am
SUNSET 18:00pm

MOONRISE 7:30am
MOONSET 22:00pm

I shortened the white lights by two hours, used to turn on at 9:00am. I'm still trying to deal with algae!

Thanks.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm looking to understand the lights on my Biocube a bit better and hopefully dial in a better schedule. I have the newer LED lights that come with the Biocube 32.

First setting (LC1) - This is the on and off time for the full intensity white lights
Second setting (LC2) - This just sets a ramp-up and down for the white lights (does this actually add any different light other than ramping?)
Third setting (LC3) - This is the on/off for the blue (moonlight). Will the moonlight promote ALGAE?

I shortened the white lights by two hours, used to turn on at 9:00am. I'm still trying to deal with algae!

Thanks.
Moonlights arent gonna promote algea. Your white light is the algea magnet. I have the same tank and the 16G version. Your channel 2 is a colored LED not ramping your whites up and down. I usually start channel 2 half an hour before and end it half an hour after my whites go off for a sunset/sunrise effect. Your light schedule is pretty close to mine. What kind of algea do you have issues with? If you cut the white light back it’ll go away but the light isn’t the main issue. Phosphates drive algea growth. You maybe just need more water changes. Or a bigger cleanup crew. What’s your crew like? My cube is next to my living rooms bay windows and my algea is non existent.

OP
OP
ChrisKSB

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Zoa_Fanatic - Mainly green turf type algae. I definitely over feed. I think with pulling back the lighting, feeding a bit less and my new super cool Diamond Goby things should sort out. Also over the past year I lost several snails and crabs, so went and restocked the CUC this weekend as well.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Zoa_Fanatic - Mainly green turf type algae. I definitely over feed. I think with pulling back the lighting, feeding a bit less and my new super cool Diamond Goby things should sort out. Also over the past year I lost several snails and crabs, so went and restocked the CUC this weekend as well.if
If you can find them banded trochus snails do a real good job on hair algea without eating it so fast they starve like Mexican turbos

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks.
Yeah I have a biocube and the lighting is kinda confusing

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back