Biocube temperature too higg

worm64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, started my tank a few months back. 32 gallon LED biocube. One thing I noticed was I never really needed to heat my tank up Bc it always stays around 78° naturally. Now that the warmer weather has arrived my tank is now in the mid 80’s. I’ve been adding RO/DI ice cubes to my sump to help drop the temperate but that can only do so much before I start diluting the salinity. Anyone else have this problem with their biocube?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is to be sure your testing is accurate. Thermometers can be notoriously inaccurate. Next the temp in the aquarium is most dependant on the temp in the room. If it is getting hot in the room the only mitigation is to either cool the room or the tank. If your tank is truly in the mid 80s you are on the verge of danger and you could possibly drop the temp a few points by opening up the top to increase evaporation, but it is still only April and it will only get hotter.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freeze Rodi in water bottles float in tank I have 4 ready to go at all times

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is to be sure your testing is accurate. Thermometers can be notoriously inaccurate. Next the temp in the aquarium is most dependant on the temp in the room. If it is getting hot in the room the only mitigation is to either cool the room or the tank. If your tank is truly in the mid 80s you are on the verge of danger and you could possibly drop the temp a few points by opening up the top to increase evaporation, but it is still only April and it will only get hotter.
This is a great point make sure your temps are accurate. Make sure your heater is set correctly or isn’t stuck on I have also propped the top open few inches in the from and used a oscillating fan to help move air

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relying on ambient temperature for keeping your tanks parameters is 100% going to result in a fail, and there is no way your stability was equal to 78*, which you clearly stated as "in or around". Temp should always be controlled, and is simply the easiest factor IMHO to keep in this hobby.

Ice cubes, or frozen bottles... still laughable. For around 20$ on amazon, you can find a single or dual fan to clip on the sump or tank. Your best approach to doing this would be to pair with an InkBird controller.

System runs too hot... fan kicks on... system drops to proper/lower temp, fan shuts off, heater kicks on.

Best of luck

ExpensiveSushi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a write up of my DIY solution. Ran this all last summer with great results. Just plugged it in for the season. Of course this increased my evap and top off management. No DIY solution for that one in place yet.

E/S

Back