Bioload

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am wondering if my bioload is sustainable long term in an 80 gallon, 20 sump SPS, LPS dominant reef. Moderate skimming with no other filtration

I currently own 2 occ. clowns, 1 dwarf angel, one yellow tang, one hawkfish, and one 6 inch bluethroat trigger.

Is this sustainable? What if i remove the tang? Typically do once a month 25% changes. There have been a couple nitrate swings, lost a cpl acros, and am wondering if bluethroat needs to go to a new reefer with a big home.

Thanks!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2r!
Sounds ok as long as there's no aggression, but I generally overstock. Bluethroats tend to be calmer but you never know with triggers so I'd keep a backup plan + it will reach ~10".
I wouldn't worry about nitrate swings as much as long as your ammonia is always at 0. With enough live rock you should be fine. Can always add something like Matrix to your sump to boost your biofilter as well.

OP
OP
T

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2r!
Sounds ok as long as there's no aggression, but I generally overstock. Bluethroats tend to be calmer but you never know with triggers so I'd keep a backup plan + it will reach ~10".
I wouldn't worry about nitrate swings as much as long as your ammonia is always at 0. With enough live rock you should be fine. Can always add something like Matrix to your sump to boost your biofilter as well.

It's a female Bluethroat so I think it may be done growing. Some battle scars with faded scar tissue suggest it is fairly old. It let's me pet it and seems not to care about anyone else in the tank.

Is feeding a tank like this every other day appropriate, assuming i give the tang fairly constant algae? Thanks!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are among my favorite fish, so much character.
I think opinions on feeding will vary, I overfeed (by a lot). Never had problems in a comparable system with even more fish than you. I'd aim to feed daily, you should run tests especially if your tank is new(ish).

OP
OP
T

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! That makes me feel better. System is <6 months. Ive always kept Acros like weeds in 30 gallon aquariums, but with tiny bioload. A fish significantly larger than my hand feels like uncharted (pooping) territory. Thanks for the advice. She is very much like a saltwater oscar fish

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @TheBackAndForth !

As long as you have enough mechanical and biological filtration to handle the waste you should be ok, so just keep a check on your Nitrate and phosphate levels.

I have a huge bio load including a pair of spawning Blue Throat Triggers and everyone it fine, but I also have a massive amount of live rock and other means to handle it all.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%

Back