Bioluminescent plankton

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
 
The sell them for only $40
And my guess is that they would populate the tank
 
I've seen pictures of people keeping them just in a saltwater tank with nothing else, but this would be much cooler
 
I've got this in a couple glass jars at home. Super neat stuff. I've been keeping it alive for about 2years now.
 
So you can buy this stuff here
http://www.empco.org/edu
But what would happen if you put it in your tank. It is found in the ocean.
I was wondering about that scientifics online has a glass animal that you can buy and get a certificate for the dinoflagettes.. Was thinking along the lines of accidently cross contaminating the tank, since I'm a clutz..

6d60de402c59c409bd05411683d4085a.jpg
 
Someone has to put these in their tank, and see what happens. I might have to do it
 
I was wondering about that scientifics online has a glass animal that you can buy and get a certificate for the dinoflagettes.. Was thinking along the lines of accidently cross contaminating the tank, since I'm a clutz..

6d60de402c59c409bd05411683d4085a.jpg
I've heard about this too, essentials the same thing, just in a dinosaur container. They have them on Amazon I think now too
 
I expect they won't thrive in a reef tank, and likely won't do what you see in the pics, if only because they will constantly be going through pumps that will over-activate them.
 
I expect they won't thrive in a reef tank, and likely won't do what you see in the pics, if only because they will constantly be going through pumps that will over-activate them.
I would think this too, but in the ocean waves dont activate them all the time. I think they only light up at night
 
I wonder if there are any pods that have bi0luminescent that are available. Those might work out better in a reef environment.
 
There are bioluminescent snails that live underwater, but as far as pods, I don't know
 
Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone had any success with bioluminescent dinoflagellates in a reef tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new