Birdnest nest coral no polyp at base? Normal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jé123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jé123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2019
Messages
66
Reaction score
9
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi is it normal for my birdnest coral to have no polyps at its base? I annoyed the xenia near so we can see (sorry for the bad quality). Also, would you say it looks healthy? I am not very familiar with sps corals. I think it looks a bit whitish blue on the center of the branches? What would you recommend to increase coloration?

B269FEB6-CB70-49E0-BE8C-BF3A814048DC.jpeg AA7A994F-58BF-4DD0-84F2-F13402765EA3.jpeg
 
Lack of polyps at base is not normal for seriatopora. Polyps should be throughout the coral, even the base. If you are seeing skeleton with no skin or polyps, the coral is dying from tissue necrosis. The cause could be many factors but mainly: lighting, inadequate flow or water quality.
As for coloration, when water quality is consistent aminos have been known to help boost coloration. But an icp can help you see if your minor elements are within a healthy range
 
Lack of polyps at base is not normal for seriatopora. Polyps should be throughout the coral, even the base. If you are seeing skeleton with no skin or polyps, the coral is dying from tissue necrosis. The cause could be many factors but mainly: lighting, inadequate flow or water quality.
As for coloration, when water quality is consistent aminos have been known to help boost coloration. But an icp can help you see if you minor elements are within a healthy range

what should I do about it ?I feel like its been here for a while and I haven’t seen any progression of tissu loss.
 
Is the Xenia blocking light from the skeleton? That could cause tissue recession.

yes it could be, I will try to remove it around the base of the birdnest
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new