Birds Nest and Frog Spawn dying - stems browning

  • Thread starter Thread starter MigReefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MigReefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2023
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
Location
Montreal
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Frog Spawn and Birds Nest coral stems are browning and slowly dying (see pics).
The stems are not slimy and the color seems baked in the stems as not much comes off when i scratch them.

Do you have any idea what could cause this and how i can fix this?

1000011371.jpg
1000011353.jpg
 
My Frog Spawn and Birds Nest coral stems are browning and slowly dying (see pics).
The stems are not slimy and the color seems baked in the stems as not much comes off when i scratch them.

Do you have any idea what could cause this and how i can fix this?

1000011371.jpg
1000011353.jpg
As posted,
Lights and settings
Parameters, everything you know including nutrients
Flow
 
Here are some parameters after doing a water change yesterday:
PH=7.8 (usually between 7.8 and 8.0)
T=25.1 Celsius
S.G.=1.026
Dkh=7
Nitrate=25 ppm
Phosporus=28 ppb
Phosphate=0.08 ppm
Calcium=388 ppm
Lighting gear is Fluval Marine 3.0, I do not know the PAR value.
The parameters and setup have been relatively stable for the last 4 years but ph and dkh has declined a bit since the last year.
Hope this helps...
 
Here are some parameters after doing a water change yesterday:
PH=7.8 (usually between 7.8 and 8.0)
T=25.1 Celsius
S.G.=1.026
Dkh=7
Nitrate=25 ppm
Phosporus=28 ppb
Phosphate=0.08 ppm
Calcium=388 ppm
Lighting gear is Fluval Marine 3.0, I do not know the PAR value.
The parameters and setup have been relatively stable for the last 4 years but ph and dkh has declined a bit since the last year.
Hope this helps...
Light is most likely weak.
 
If you can get a par meter, you might find that fixture won't cut it for sps.
Having said that, I've never owned it used that light.

Edit: I just looked at the numbers, they are 1/4 of what I use in watts for growing sps.
Even at all channels 100% with 2 of those fixtures may not cut it. It might, but all the sps would have to be on top of the rock.
 
Last edited:
First thing first, please post your current water parameters and a little information about your system; size, lighting, flow, age, etc. A full tank picture will also be helpful.
1000011551.jpg

Here is a full tank photo ( filtered out some blue light by adjusting phone camera white balance.
I have 3 SPS and 1 Frog Spawn at the top which are browning but they were doing good for 2-3 years.
All corals at the bottom are doing well.
 
If you can get a par meter, you might find that fixture won't cut it for sps.
Having said that, I've never owned it used that light.

Edit: I just looked at the numbers, they are 1/4 of what I use in watts for growing sps.
Even at all channels 100% with 2 of those fixtures may not cut it. It might, but all the sps would have to be on top of the rock.
This is what I have.
1000011553.jpg
 
This is what I have.
1000011553.jpg
Yup.
If you can get a par meter, you might find that fixture won't cut it for sps.
Having said that, I've never owned it used that light.

Edit: I just looked at the numbers, they are 1/4 of what I use in watts for growing sps.
Even at all channels 100% with 2 of those fixtures may not cut it. It might, but all the sps would have to be on top of the rock.
Same comment.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new