Birds nest bleaching

agamblinalot

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 16, 2025
Messages
74
Reaction score
80
Location
Meridian
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0







Tank is in its 2nd month since cycling. I’ve had very stable water parameters for 6 weeks in a row. The stats below hardly vary every week I test. Decided to add a birds nest. Been in the tank a week and this just happened over night. I have a hammer that isn’t doing well either. What’s going on? My weekly water changes keep parameters pretty darn stable.

Tank:15 gal Helloreef AIO
Light: 12” AI Blade running at 60% (not 100 like in the pic)
Temp: 78
PH: 7.9
SG: 1.026
Alk: 8.2-8.1
Ca: 418
Mag: 1268
Phos: .1
Nitrate: 18
No ammonia or nitrite
 
20250730_082120_E284B8C7-DF7C-48CA-871B-CB0B91E1181C.png
 
The tank is very new. Although your parameters are stable, consider that we can test for only 5 or 6 parameters, but there are dozens of other things we can't test for.

Birdsnest and hammers are not exactly beginner corals. I would suggest to start with soft corals, such as zoa's and mushrooms and leathers, if these do well then move up to lps, and if you can keep lps for a while, then graduate to sps.

Also the light is not very intense, not enough for sps corals. You have a 20 watt light running at 60%. I also have a 15 gallon tank with a 55 watt light running at 80%.

Do you have any powerheads in the tank or only the return for flow?
 
Last edited:
Your aquarium won't be a good place for hard corals for a few months, no matter how well you do it. You must be patient.
 
The tank is very new. Although your parameters are stable, consider that we can test for only 5 or 6 parameters, but there are dozens of other things we can't test for. Birdsnest and hammers are not exactly beginner corals. I would suggest to start with soft corals, such as zoa's and mushrooms and leathers, if these do well then move up to lps, and if you can keep lps for a while, then graduate to sps.

Also the light is not very intense, not enough for sps corals. You have a 20 watt light running at 60%. I have a 15 gallon tank with a 55 watt light running at 80%.

Do you have any powerheads in the tank or only the return for flow?
Oh wow! I was just worried about cooking things at full intensity.

Yes I have a sicce nano1000 power head.
20250730_082816_DB0E0637-3C89-4191-A6BB-CA9C40B217FE.png
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new