Birth nest bleach part in less than 1 day

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i bought this coral 3 days ago and looked good until i saw this morning 2 white parts. The fotos i made is 1st from now and 2nd from yesterday afternoon.
What are the most commen causes for this?
Didnt test my water yet but other corals are fine ( as well pocilopora)
Can it be a issue with maybe a shock by to much light? I think my light is a bit higher than how it was in the store. Any tips are welcome

IMG_7286.jpeg IMG_7271.jpeg IMG_7293.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, lots of aptaisia around that coral.

Hard to offer suggestions without knowing more about the tank, parameters, lighting, flow.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the the others above. We need to know your parameters (alk, nitrate, phoshpate, calcium, mag). While birds nest are great and grow quickly, I find they are one of those corals that all of a sudden bleach one day for no reason.

Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse I would frag the good parts.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is dead/bleached.

Screenshot_20240126_072831_Chrome.jpg
These guys are so finicky. I had the hardest time growing them in my system for the first 9 years. My system is 10 years now and a buddy gave me a frag and it's growing really fast.

I would say snip a piece of and remount it. If it doesn't make it, try again in a couple months.

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is dead/bleached.

Screenshot_20240126_072831_Chrome.jpg
These guys are so finicky. I had the hardest time growing them in my system for the first 9 years. My system is 10 years now and a buddy gave me a frag and it's growing really fast.

I would say snip a piece of and remount it. If it doesn't make it, try again in a couple months.
Thats a pity.. is it possible for this corals to grow back the cells on the bleached parts? I gonna try to find out where the problem is. Just removed a lot of aiptasias ( but this wasnt the issue as the frag stone was new and put in on wednesday so no aiptasia stinging the coral) as the bleached parts is only from up could be maybe a shock from the strong light.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a pity.. is it possible for this corals to grow back the cells on the bleached parts? I gonna try to find out where the problem is. Just removed a lot of aiptasias ( but this wasnt the issue as the frag stone was new and put in on wednesday so no aiptasia stinging the coral) as the bleached parts is only from up could be maybe a shock from the strong light.
Hard to say why it happened, as I said, they can be finicky.
Once you get something else growing on the branch, no, I don't think it would grow back. But, the bright side to this is they are fast growers if you get it to grow. It will grow up and out and those branches will end up on the bottom of the colony and out of site.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say why it happened, as I said, they can be finicky.
Once you get something else growing on the branch, no, I don't think it would grow back. But, the bright side to this is they are fast growers if you get it to grow. It will grow up and out and those branches will end up on the bottom of the colony and out of site.
I definatly have dead branches under.

17063086908571766914995658704862.jpg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No phosphates? What is taking it up? That calcium is super high. My corals burned out a bit when I overdosed Kalkwasser. How did the calcium get so high? How are you dosing?

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No phosphates? What is taking it up? That calcium is super high. My corals burned out a bit when I overdosed Kalkwasser. How did the calcium get so high? How are you dosing?
I think maybe because the salt mix, i dose nothing. also had a bit high salinity, 1.028, any tips to lower calcium? Gonna bring the ph and magnesium a bit up now

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe because the salt mix, i dose nothing. also had a bit high salinity, 1.028, any tips to lower calcium? Gonna bring the ph and magnesium a bit up now
What salt mix are you using. Water changes would lower Calcium. Do you have a RODi or are you buying water? Did you read the instructions from your water test at the LFS?

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using. Water changes would lower Calcium. Do you have a RODi or are you buying water? Did you read the instructions from your water test at the LFS?
I use Microbe Lift premium reef salt, i think i dose a bit to much salt for the quantity of liters ro water. Yes i have my own RODI filter and also the tester, ro water is always 0 ppm. Thanks for the tips, gonna try small water changes now and just started dosing magnesium and ph buffer.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birds Nest is a very finicky coral. I've had them thrive and grow at incredible rates only to bleach out in a day or two for no apparent reason. Best guess was angel picking at it but i have no proof. I usually just frag what i can, move it (usually to my other tank) and it comes back. I'm sure parameters are part of it in many cases but mine were stable and not much else changed. #reeflife

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dose nothing
You may want to look into dosing to provide what is needed. That looks like a fairly large piece (colony) of coral. I'd expect it would be hungry once acclimated. Maybe try to get on top of your parameters and demand and replenishment, etc. Fwiw doesn't look like a goner to my eye (I see polyps) but I'm no expert there...

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said, I did have a montipora that had a dead spot when I bought it and it has since grown back over that spot (different species of course) so maybe it's possible?

20230624_212858 (2).jpg 20240118_161925.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back