Bleached anemone

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, 20 days ago I got this anemone in pretty bad shape:

IMG_9090.jpeg IMG_9089.jpeg
I dripped it over 2-3h, added her to the tank and it gripped on the spot.

It was fully bleached and closed.

over the last 20 days I’ve been feeding it 2-3 times per week ( shrimp, some reefroids..) and it seems like it’s slowly more active ( it closes and opens better) and there is some slight colouration in the tips :
IMG_9213.jpeg

so it definitely seems to be getting better, however I still don’t get almost any tentacle extension.
My questions are:

-Flow ( it awkwardly chose the spot in the crevice of the rock). I noticed it isn’t getting a good enough flow ( food waste wasn’t being removed ) so I increased my wave makers, but the flow on it is still pretty weak, do you guys think I should direct some flow towards it?

-feeding ( do you think I can increase the feeding? ) it seems like it chose spot under a rock , most likely it doesn’t want light without having any of its algae

- any other tips to get tentacles to start expanding?

My parameters are:
- dkh 10.7
- mg 1400
-ca 420
- salinity 34
- no3. 2
-po4 0.02

Overall it seems to be getting better, my tank is quite stable (I got it in this shape it didn’t deteriorate in my tank) so parameters are fine

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that, as long as it is improving, don't change the flow, position, or lighting. Feeding should not be more than every three days, in my opinion. And regarding tentacle extension, this anemone has been sick so long that it has consumed its tentacles for energy. It will need to grow new ones, which can take weeks or months.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that, as long as it is improving, don't change the flow, position, or lighting. Feeding should not be more than every three days, in my opinion. And regarding tentacle extension, this anemone has been sick so long that it has consumed its tentacles for energy. It will need to grow new ones, which can take weeks or months.
Ouh, very interesting, I thought they shrink like hammers , I had no clue that they actually eat their own tentacles .

Light will have to be changed in about 2-3 weeks (got ai blades on the way to replace my failing reefleds ) but I will match the par. Thanks

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouh, very interesting, I thought they shrink like hammers , I had no clue that they actually eat their own tentacles .
Both are possible. Shrinking tentacles happens quickly and recovers quickly. Consuming tentacles comes from weeks of bad health, and takes a long time to regrow as well.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see , okay thanks , I think that might be a case since it seems that it’s having more tentacles on bottom than top, this is a bit better picture:
IMG_9215.jpeg
IMG_9214.jpeg

But the coloration is definitely coming back (pale but it was white like a4 paper when I got it ) .

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Light will have to be changed in about 2-3 weeks (got ai blades on the way to replace my failing reefleds ) but I will match the par. Thanks
They don’t technically ‘eat’ the tentacles. It’s more like how a starving person will begin to consume muscle tissue for energy. It’s not physically eating the tentacles. Consuming may be a better description.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is a BTA that is improving. They don't require a lot of flow or light. As long as it is improving, keep everything the same. It would be great if you documented it improving health.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is a BTA that is improving. They don't require a lot of flow or light. As long as it is improving, keep everything the same. It would be great if you documented it improving health.
Definitely will do, I will probably update this post with new pictures as it gets better.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9365.jpeg

It’s definitely improving, hopefully soon it will grow bigger :)

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back