Birthday Gift!! Please Help 75 gallons

IntDboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone...First thanks for stopping in...for the last few months or so Ive been going back and forth on taking a break with the hobby. But today is my birthday and I turned 30 years old...:cry:

And today I walk in the front door to find Sweedish fish candy leading me in a direction towards the family room...As i follow these candys it leads me to a new 75 gallon Tank from my girlfriend. Thats right she bought me ayour basic 75 gallon tank and had her brother build me a stand to go with it...It is very nice however...I told myself the next tank I get will be rimless ....yada yada and have all the essentials that I wanted...But I couldnt tell her that... So it looks like I will stay in the hobby just a lil longer..:neutral:

I currently have a 50 Gallon Oceanic Tech tank and Stand...Mixed Reef SPS,LPS BTA and such.
36" 6 bulb Tek
Vortech MP40 ...do you think that will do it....I do have some K1, K3 laying around that I could also use.

So here is my questions?
Overflow? Internal (Im thinking left side)...any thoughts would help

Lighting? I have a 36" 6 Bulb Tek from my tank now...Do you think it will be ok a for a couple of months....

Sump
I will need to build a sump ( Looking for input on size of sump)

Return Pump
Should I go with a Mag 9.5?

Skimmer

Ill need a new skimmer also...( any input would help alot)
I do have a HOB AquacRemora layin around would that be ok for a lil bit...Or shall I wait to get the proper skimmer...

anything else I forgot please chime in...

Thanks a bunch!!

OP
OP
IntDboy

IntDboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I here are some pics of some of my current livestock....I hate viewing threads without pics...so hope this helps....I dont take good photos but Oh well..

reef071.jpg

reef074.jpg

reef069.jpg

reef034.jpg

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** Dboy those are some dope favias you got there, shoot me your address so I can come raid your tank!!! Us Michigan peeps gotta stick together ya know!

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you'll be fine with the equipment you have for now. you'll probably want at least a K3 to supplement your vortech. i use a 20g long for a sump on my 75g, and i have a mag 9.5 for a return. the eheim 1262 is probably a better choice if you can spend a little more. as far as the overflow, i guess it depends on how you want to aquascape it.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think your lights will be fine, maybe hang them a little bit higher than you did on your last tank.
As for the pump... personally I love a lot of flow, so i would do either a Mag12 or a Mag18, not much more for the mag 18 and you tee it off to run a reactor (less pumps in the sump)
Sump i would do a 30 long
Skimmer, I've seen a thread recently on a DIY cone skimmer for tanks of that size, i think it was under $200. Can't remember who was selling it though :) I think Avast marine
Love the chalice collection. Let me know if you do decide to get out of the hobby :wink:

OP
OP
IntDboy

IntDboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** Dboy those are some dope favias you got there, shoot me your address so I can come raid your tank!!! Us Michigan peeps gotta stick together ya know!

Hahaha...Im always down to do some trading...Especially with the Michigan folks!!!

OP
OP
IntDboy

IntDboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you'll be fine with the equipment you have for now. you'll probably want at least a K3 to supplement your vortech. i use a 20g long for a sump on my 75g, and i have a mag 9.5 for a return. the eheim 1262 is probably a better choice if you can spend a little more. as far as the overflow, i guess it depends on how you want to aquascape it.

Thanks for the Reply Gilmour...I will look into the eheim 1262...Appreciate it!!

OP
OP
IntDboy

IntDboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think your lights will be fine, maybe hang them a little bit higher than you did on your last tank.
As for the pump... personally I love a lot of flow, so i would do either a Mag12 or a Mag18, not much more for the mag 18 and you tee it off to run a reactor (less pumps in the sump)
Sump i would do a 30 long
Skimmer, I've seen a thread recently on a DIY cone skimmer for tanks of that size, i think it was under $200. Can't remember who was selling it though :) I think Avast marine
Love the chalice collection. Let me know if you do decide to get out of the hobby :wink:

Thanks for the Reply Wrasse...I will also look into the Mag Pumps..And I think the 30g will be the route I choose for the sump...And thanks for the headsup on the Cone Skimmer...Ive always wanted one..So I might have to look into those a bit more..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back