Black Algea? What is this?

mikelee031

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2015
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyonoe know what this black algea I have is? No algea blooms anywhere else in 125g tank. Snails or hermits wont touch it.
uploadfromtaptalk1427647755299.jpg
 
It appears to be a new rock, so I'd call that die off, and not algae.
 
I had an attack of small starfish that were eating the purple off the rocks... got a harlequin shrimp to rid me of the pests but I have some work to do to get all my purple back. This is on a rock thats out of direct main light. This black spot has been getting bigger and it sheets like slime algea.
 
Ok, can you get a clearer pic of that rock?
 
Ok, now it looks like the Black Sponge
I'd suck it outta there.
 
cyano is a bacterial growth similar to algae. It is both annoying and bad depending on how difficult it is to remove. While increasing flow in the area where the cyano is may help it does not always cure the problem. Cyano can feed on both nutrients and/ or light. What are your nitrate, phosphate readings?
3Twinklets whats Cyano is it bad or just annoying?
 
My readings are good now. About a month ago I had a phosphate spike but it is under control now. Can it be holdover from that?
 
Update: Ok think I figured it out. Had a phosphate boost. My harlequin shrimp is eating all my small starfish (which i need her to dp badly)and she leaves behind a small carcass. I have put in a GFO to help pull it down. So far so good.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new