Black box modify to Radion g5 spectrum?

Swchase

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious what you have in mind? Just building them using the same led setup?

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking. You can get all the LEDs on eBay and they are easy to swap out. Would just want to use 120 degree lenses for blending.

Since the blue is optimized for ab+ you could copy that led lay out and just adjust brightness.

Swchase

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Interesting. What about cooling? Also what are you using fire control?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If going this far...
Might be worthwhile swapping out the clear acrylic panel for a glass one.

Glass produces far less chromatic aberration, helping blend the light more rather than spread it out as it passes through.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Interesting. What about cooling? Also what are you using fire control?

A black box would have fans already and no control needed if you optimized the LEDs themselves for ab+. Just would need brightness control.

More just curious if you could mimick the growth without spending 800 on a gen 5.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If going this far...
Might be worthwhile swapping out the clear acrylic panel for a glass one.

Glass produces far less chromatic aberration, helping blend the light more rather than spread it out as it passes through.

Was thinking of using light diffuser but with 120 degree lenses might not need it.

Will say the lenses for the Gen 5s look amazing.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is do you know what form factor the new gen 5 uses diode wise? What nm's diodes? What kelvin? Can't mimic without knowing this.

Older style CBB's use this form:

3w-warm-white-led-500x500.jpg

Newer Mars boxes use a COB type diode.

Anyway, many of us have modded our black boxes. I've customized mine.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have modified a few things here and there myself. You wouldn't be able to get exact because radion doesn't release there spectrum exactly. They just use names which gets you close. For example Violet is 430nm in most cases. But don't know for sure. I would also imagine radion uses Cree surface mount diodes.

Was a thought and wasn't sure if anyone elses mind went there when radion released something that looked more like a black box layout wise than there pucks.

loganlax07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit late to the party on this one but the folks at LedZeal will customize their models to meet your specs (up to 10 led types I think). It's not quite as cheap as a DIY black box but should still be about a third the cost of a Radion. But, as BrandonS has pointed out, I don't think Radion share their exact spectrum unfortunately.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have modified a few things here and there myself. You wouldn't be able to get exact because radion doesn't release there spectrum exactly. They just use names which gets you close. For example Violet is 430nm in most cases. But don't know for sure. I would also imagine radion uses Cree surface mount diodes.

Was a thought and wasn't sure if anyone elses mind went there when radion released something that looked more like a black box layout wise than there pucks.

In the past, Ecotech has used a number of LED vendors, including Osram and Cree for various LED positions, and has largely used SemiLED for the violet channels. Assume a mix of 435, 425, 415, and/or 405. I'll take a loaner unit if you want confirmation and I can hit it up with the spectrometer :)

The various eBay import LEDs are in the junk category for efficiency, proper ratings, and longevity as they are built down to an absolute price. If you're ok with that, then don't let anything stop you :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, Ecotech has used a number of LED vendors, including Osram and Cree for various LED positions, and has largely used SemiLED for the violet channels. Assume a mix of 435, 425, 415, and/or 405. I'll take a loaner unit if you want confirmation and I can hit it up with the spectrometer :)

The various eBay import LEDs are in the junk category for efficiency, proper ratings, and longevity as they are built down to an absolute price. If you're ok with that, then don't let anything stop you :)

I'm okay with that. Lol

Back