Black bugs and success with Interceptor? HELP !

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure i have some black tiny , very tiny bugs , that you can BARELY SPOT with your eyes , seen them on my green slimer stned part, dipped it with coralrx and see specks of them tiny bugs just floating around. after ward my tyree pink lemonade RTN right away the next day. one again dipped the dead skeleton to see black specks tiny floating around.
As for pictures their so tiny, i dont think my phone can pick them up well.
My milli which was showing PE , is not showing any more pe at all. so i suspect it may be infested, but not stning or rtning.

all stn or rtn started from the way up from the bottom

So.. hm.. im looking at interceptor from what i have read , people have had success with them , big dog pills (got a 40 gallon with 10 sump). whats the differences between PLUS AND SPECTRUM ?

i do not have a skimmer though, but plan to run carbon after treatment with a sock.

Has anyone have success to killing the worst kinds of black bugs with interceptor ? or has that have caused people to shut down their tank?

im looking at this site http://dogandcatpharm.com/inc/sdetail/617 , anyone know any better sources to get it

Any advice is appreciated, thank you for your time.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the active ingredient is the same for Interceptor that you need a scrip from the vet for.

Any pest that is mite like/Arthropods will be adversely affect by Interceptor. The treatment is easy and safe to everything other than shrimps, crabs and pods.

You should not have to shut down your tank. I would also look for a secondary reason for the issues with your sps, such as chemistry.

I have had RB and black bugs and neither wrecked that kind of havoc on my Acropora.

Welcome to R2R.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure i have some black tiny , very tiny bugs , that you can BARELY SPOT with your eyes , seen them on my green slimer stned part, dipped it with coralrx and see specks of them tiny bugs just floating around. after ward my tyree pink lemonade RTN right away the next day. one again dipped the dead skeleton to see black specks tiny floating around.
As for pictures their so tiny, i dont think my phone can pick them up well.
My milli which was showing PE , is not showing any more pe at all. so i suspect it may be infested, but not stning or rtning.

all stn or rtn started from the way up from the bottom

So.. hm.. im looking at interceptor from what i have read , people have had success with them , big dog pills (got a 40 gallon with 10 sump). whats the differences between PLUS AND SPECTRUM ?

i do not have a skimmer though, but plan to run carbon after treatment with a sock.

Has anyone have success to killing the worst kinds of black bugs with interceptor ? or has that have caused people to shut down their tank?

im looking at this site http://dogandcatpharm.com/inc/sdetail/617 , anyone know any better sources to get it

Any advice is appreciated, thank you for your time.

Ideally you'd want to find just a regular pill of Milbemycin oxime, something like this https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1461 and ideally without flavoring - not sure if any ingredient would cause issues in the tank or if it's in a high enough quantity...
Plus contains praziquantel as an active ingredient in addition to milbemycin oxime (the ingredient you need) and Spectrum in addition contains Lufenuron (which is a flea medication).

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did some testing
ALK at 7.1 hanna alk cheaker
CA 465 salfeirt test
MAG 1290 - 1320 SALFEIRT test
nitrate undectable
P04 - unknown ran out of reagent..

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you'd want to find just a regular pill of Milbemycin oxime, something like this https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1461 and ideally without flavoring - not sure if any ingredient would cause issues in the tank or if it's in a high enough quantity...
Plus contains praziquantel as an active ingredient in addition to milbemycin oxime (the ingredient you need) and Spectrum in addition contains Lufenuron (which is a flea medication).

so ideally both of them would work as long as they contain milbemycin oxime)

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picking up 2 big dog pills, soon 40 gallon dt with 10 gallon sump or 15 , not counting live rock, can anyone advise me how much strenght for black bugs !

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ideally both of them would work as long as they contain milbemycin oxime)

My vote would be to use Interceptor.
Not sure about Spectrum, I'd stay away, unless someone can weigh in on the effects of lufenuron on corals...

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interceptor plus just has Prazi in it...
That’s the only difference and it’s safe to use in tank.
As mentioned, inverts and pods will be affected.
You can remove inverts, but you’ll probably have to replenish pods when you’re finished doing your rounds of treatment.

Speaking of rounds of treatment; you’ll need to dose 3 rounds of this into your tank.
Be prepared for an algae outbreak when you’re finished!

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so im able to get 2 pills only from a local reefer:( how much should i dose each time ? 1 whole pill for first time and split the other one into 2 more times?

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whoa, you’re upset about getting 2 pills?!
From a friendly reefer who hooked you up no less?
That’s more than enough....
1 pill should last you 3 rounds of dosing, since your tank is 50g, and then you’ll have a bunch leftover for dipping new frags.

derek yoonie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For black bugs I thought it was 4x the dose and 1 pill should be about 380 gallons correct ? Finally got the pills

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it ended up being spectrum interceptor , im doing to do it tommrow .. . gotta catch the sexy shrimps

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there are anyone who has won a battle against black bugsi would love to listen to your advice !

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my second treatment. Still fighting but haven't been able to find any bugs.. but the corals still have the signs of wear. Not sure if they are a winnable battle. I did 2 Large Breed Pills for my 90g tank with 30g frag tank inline and a 30g sump. So maybe 125g total volume minus rocks and stuff. One of the rules of thumbs I read for red bug treatment is 1 large breed pill for 400g. I did two in 125g so its approximately 6.5x dose... If this doesn't kill the buggers, I'm gonna be extremely frustrated. I still have some really high-end pieces I'd love not to give up on. Revive at 4x for 8min seems to work quite well, but I don't have another tank to move them into after I do that, so for me, the interceptor is my only option at the moment. Would love to hear good news from someone who has beat these things.

Here are some videos of my black bugs for identification purposes.

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever kill them

No. I've been in the process of establishing a SPS-Ready QT Tank. Im going to give it one last shot to cure them. In the mean time I was basically dipping on a regular basis to kill as many as I could in the interim and keep the corals happy. I succeeded on that front, but if I stop dipping they come back. Im pretty sure the secret is cutting only healthy tissue of coral, no plugs or encursted areas for the bugs to hide, then dipping in multiple baths confirming that no bugs come off the coral and that its perfectly clean. Then remounting, and dipping again every 3-4 days for a couple weeks and inspecting.

Ask again in a couple months and ill let you know how it went.

Back