Black bugs and success with Interceptor? HELP !

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it go? I currently have super super tiny black bugs on some of my corals. I removed all the acros I could from the tank and put in QT. There are 2 acros I can’t remove from the display. One question is, do the bug live on the coral? Meaning if I remove all the acros from the display will any that’s on the rock starve out?

I want to do intercepter at 4x the dose on my 200gal. Are all my fish safe? No worries about harming them

Mrussell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this turn out?? I am dealing with them right now trying to get a hold of some interceptor.

JoniLeigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took these with the magnifier app on my phone. I found them a few months ago but didn't know what they were. Do you think they might be the black bugs? I just stumbled onto some info about them and I think they may be eating my acans..
20200222_192425.jpg
20200222_192312.jpg

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever win the battle?
I have yet to hear of anyone beating black bugs.. And i talked to quite a few people over the years about them. Best you can get is cutting tiny frags and then tank transferring them and dipping from qt tank to qt tank until you break the lifecycle... But saving an entire SPS tank, i dont think its possible.. That said dont not try, because someone will figure it out one day.

Mrussell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to hear of anyone beating black bugs.. And i talked to quite a few people over the years about them. Best you can get is cutting tiny frags and then tank transferring them and dipping from qt tank to qt tank until you break the lifecycle... But saving an entire SPS tank, i dont think its possible.. That said dont not try, because someone will figure it out one day.
I was able to beat this kind of black bug(small almost microscopic kind that takes a while to kill sps) using dr Gs dip treating the entire tank(same ingredient as interceptor). The larger black bugs that kill colonies in days are another story.

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the smaller ones fall to interceptor which is the main ingredient in Dr G's... but the little grey tank buggers are montsters.
I was able to beat this kind of black bug(small almost microscopic kind that takes a while to kill sps) using dr Gs dip treating the entire tank(same ingredient as interceptor). The larger black bugs that kill colonies in days are another story.

Mrussell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7F00F342-5157-4D12-8C91-CE16C01657A4.jpeg
C039CB93-453D-489A-82EE-CF95736E45BC.jpeg

Bottom is pic of monti getting munched by black bugs and top is today.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read their instructions and it said not to use in DT outside of tank only

MavPond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read about dr gs. I ordered some yesterday. Do you guys know if these lay eggs? Would it be only on the base of the corals or on the aquascape too? All my corals are on frag rocks. When I dip them I might plut them all on plugs if I have too. I got a quarantine tank. Not cycled but took my water from my display and filled it up. I think this will be good enough to to treat with dr g. Also I can’t find anything on treating a whole tank
Doseage. I got one shrimp I’m worried about. Had him for years. This pest is weird because only about two months ago I only introduced two things got a coral shipment from a well known distributor and real reef rock which they said was cycled. I got some of that left which I’m going to see if I can find anything on it.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Dr G’s last week. It removed some of the black bugs but not all of them. Have followed up with the first treatment of interceptor. A couple of frags have responded and started grow back but another has continued STN. Have 2 more interceptor treatments. We will see…

Reef Solution

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best Dip for those baster is melafix. black bug dies in less than a minute but honestly you can't eradicate them with dip i try for years doing as much as 14 week of dip. dont know how but they alway find there way back after 3-4 month. in my 30 years plus reefing i never seen a pest so resilient. they are mostly noctunal and i found Pepermith shrimp will eat them at night but those litle devil learn and stop been nocturnal honestly noting can get them

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the active ingredient is the same for Interceptor that you need a scrip from the vet for.

Any pest that is mite like/Arthropods will be adversely affect by Interceptor. The treatment is easy and safe to everything other than shrimps, crabs and pods.

You should not have to shut down your tank. I would also look for a secondary reason for the issues with your sps, such as chemistry.

I have had RB and black bugs and neither wrecked that kind of havoc on my Acropora.

Welcome to R2R.
I see that this is an old post/ thread but I had black bugs introduced to my system because I purchased 2 torch corals from a sketchy shop in Kansas City call aquariums wholesale. I didn’t realize what exactly was wrong until things got bad with a lot of my lps. I didn’t see any black bugs until weeks into me wondering what the heck was going on. When I dipped all of my lps corals SO MANY CAME OFF OF EVERYTHING! It was a nightmare and still is. Long story short I’ve been fighting them with dr gs coral dip in tank because I guess it has the main ingredient that interceptor has that kills any mite type of pest.
my whole tank basically is crashed I lost thousands worth of coral. I have a few left that I’m still treating that lived. I set up a brand new beautiful system (basically my dream tank) but I don’t know how to tell exactly when I have officially killed the rest of the black bugs. I’m scared to even put the corals that survived into this new tank. I just can’t ever put myself through this again it was so bad. Kinda my fault I’ve been in the hobby for 14 years and I’ve never had anything happen like this!!

sorry for the rant I’m just trying to find some help on how ppl know that that are totally gone for sure! Those little jerks are so hard to see it drives me nuts. What a f#%king mess this has been!
thanks fellas hope all of you guys are doing well!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back