Black coraline or something else?

gobirds4290

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2025
Messages
36
Reaction score
15
Location
South Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a year and a half old and I’ve got zero pink/purple coraline growth. What I do have tons of though, is this black growth that covers nearly all of my rocks. Is this coraline that’s just black or is it something else? I tried scraping it with a tooth brush and blasting it with a turkey baster but it won’t come off.

IMG_4074.jpeg
 
Anything to be concerned with or try to remove? Knock on wood I haven’t noticed any negative effects with it so far
If it gets stressed or starts dying off theres a chance of toxin release so run carbon if it starts declining. It looks like a cryptic sponge it's growing very low on the rocks so I doubt it'll cause any issues. It looks nice enough personally I'd keep it and monitor it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new