Black flatworm ID help

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1DA87563-221C-4316-8FB0-3FE1859C3F94.jpeg
Would really love some help to id this!
I’ve recently had sps die off and wondering if this is the cause.
I’ve tried two treatments of flatworm exit in the past but it never really helped

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1DA87563-221C-4316-8FB0-3FE1859C3F94.jpeg
Would really love some help to id this!
I’ve recently had sps die off and wondering if this is the cause.
I’ve tried two treatments of flatworm exit in the past but it never really helped
Pic is fuzzy to tell as it could also be a slug. Need clearer pic under white lighting to confirm. Can be an Aglaja sea slug or similar

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see them now. They are acoel flatworms.
While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png

OP
OP
R

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see them now. They are acoel flatworms.
While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png
Any chemical solutions for eradication?
I have a coral fishless qt tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Any chemical solutions for eradication?
I have a coral fishless qt tank
Its the last thing you want to do. I mentioned siphoning them. If you go chemical which may upset coral, you will have to siphon dead ones daily anyway to remove potential Toxins.
Salifert flatworm exit worms, But realize the risks mentioned.

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the last thing you want to do. I mentioned siphoning them. If you go chemical which may upset coral, you will have to siphon dead ones daily anyway to remove potential Toxins.
Salifert flatworm exit worms, But realize the risks mentioned.
The toxins are easy to deal with. The thing with flatworm exit is sometimes you have to go easy above the recommended dose. I bought a cheap Amazon canister filter with just 2 trays filed both with activated carbon and had it on standby until every one of the worms were floating in the water column dead then fired up the canister and let it run for a day. Coral never missed a beat but snails were paralyzed until all toxins were removed.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back