Black Ich? Not sure.. Need some help :(

FastFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tore down my 75 and 40 breeder I have had up for about 2 1/2 years. I merged all fish from the tanks into a 125 Gal about 5 weeks ago. All fish have been in great health all the way up to today.

I came home from work today and my tangs were not out swimming neck and neck, but hiding behind the live rock. They are breathing fine from what I can tell just not as vibrant and active. Literally overnight both my tangs are covered in black specks/kinda squiggly lines. Sand was new and live rock used was same rock I had for years. Not sure where this came from no new corals or nothing in tank.

What you think any guidance is appreciated. Not sure what to do. Last time I had to treat fish was when I first setup a tank and my fish got ich! That sucked...

Thanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there. certainly looks like black ich to me. A full daylight picture would be better though. Here's a little info on it from humblefish
Black Ich:

Symptoms - This looks like tiny black dots on the body or fins. Black ich is caused by an infestation of turbellarian flatworms and is mostly seen in tangs. It is “ich” in name only and requires an entirely different treatment than Cryptocaryon irritans.

Treatment options – Prazipro, or formalin bath.

Prazi can be done in tank. Theres a risk to any tube worms/feather dusters but it's low.

OP
OP
F

FastFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. Do not have Prazipro on hand but will pickup in the morning. Will my fish go downhill fast and at risk to die from black ich similar to white ich? Or will they be safe till morning since this is a different ich?

Thanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not real ick. It's a flatworm similar to flukes. not the same.... but similar.
I've never dealt with it myself, so I'm not sure how quickly it takes them. You can always try a freshwater dip to relieve them some and give you more time to get the meds.
Here's how just in case you need a refresher:
Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also noticed that some tangs (my sailfins being among them) appear to have black dots when they have ich. I cannot explain this but I've seen it many times over the years. I think maybe the flesh below the "hole" left is darker and looks like black spots. I've seen it dozens of times now and it's never truly been black ich.

[HASHTAG]#humblefish[/HASHTAG] what say you?

OP
OP
F

FastFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really concerned. Have had most all of these fish for over 2 years.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like black ich to me, but better pics (under white light) might allow us to give you a more definitive diagnosis. Sailfin Tangs can be tricky due to their already dark coloration. Also, a 5 min FW dip should force most of the flatworms (but not all) to drop off the fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back