Black ich or bruising on sailfin tang? Plz help.

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently noticed in the past 24 hours these discolorations on both sides of our dejardin sailfin tang. The discolorations do not appear to be raised like I’m reading about black ich. What is this? She’s in a tank with a larger yellow tang that is pretty aggressive and attempts to barb/chase her daily. All other fish in our tank look fine. She is eating nori and seaweed pellets. Behavior seems normal other than the new discolorations. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0865.png IMG_0859.jpeg IMG_0860.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Recently noticed in the past 24 hours these discolorations on both sides of our dejardin sailfin tang. The discolorations do not appear to be raised like I’m reading about black ich. What is this? She’s in a tank with a larger yellow tang that is pretty aggressive and attempts to barb/chase her daily. All other fish in our tank look fine. She is eating nori and seaweed pellets. Behavior seems normal other than the new discolorations. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0865.png IMG_0859.jpeg IMG_0860.jpeg
While this has the appearance of black ich, it may also be stings from either an anemone or euphyllia coral. If no anemones or hammer/torch coral in tank, then would be black ich which is not actual ich but rather turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro for two 8 day intervals with a water change on day 9.
other option is formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby Rally Pro starting with a bath for 45 minutes followed by treatment
Do note that Prazi will lower both oxygen and appetite, so an airstone is recommended for added aeration and monitor water quality during treatment with a reliable test kit
These worms If turbellarian give the appearance of ich as melanin pigmentation causes the appearance of black dots .

OP
OP
T

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this has the appearance of black ich, it may also be stings from either an anemone or euphyllia coral. If no anemones or hammer/torch coral in tank, then would be black ich which is not actual ich but rather turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro for two 8 day intervals with a water change on day 9.
other option is formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby Rally Pro starting with a bath for 45 minutes followed by treatment
Do note that Prazi will lower both oxygen and appetite, so an airstone is recommended for added aeration and monitor water quality during treatment with a reliable test kit
These worms If turbellarian give the appearance of ich as melanin pigmentation causes the appearance of black dots .
Thank you so much. This was very helpful. Just ordered the Prazi pro from Amazon and it should get here Wednesday.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back