Black Sand

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on. I have a 40 breeder bare bottom mixed reef (mainly LPS and Softy). I didn't have much fun with sand in the past as it would blow around and even facing the power heads to the surface it'll still cause dunes in certain areas. I like bare bottom because it's very easy to clean, but I want to try black sand to add some extra color pop. I was told to get bigger grain and and only use 1 power head instead of 2 to lower the flow. Does anyone know of a brand for black sand that has chunky grain?
B141D479-AB63-4C13-BE7A-7D3E0A7675F3.jpeg

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a buddy that used it that really liked the look
Great! Thanks! I saw it in passing but was in a rush, but I'll actually look at it this time then I'll watch thousands of YouTube videos on how to add sand to an established tank

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do believe some of the black sand is also magnetic, just what I've heard. You have to be very careful with any magnetic cleaner. Best of luck with your decision:)

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe some of the black sand is also magnetic, just what I've heard. You have to be very careful with any magnetic cleaner. Best of luck with your decision:)
Thank you. I've heard that too. If the process to add sand to an established tank is pretty easy, I'll do it. If not, I'll pass ☺️

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Thanks! I saw it in passing but was in a rush, but I'll actually look at it this time then I'll watch thousands of YouTube videos on how to add sand to an established tank
Rinse the sand. Get a funnel and pvc pipe and pour the sand into the funnel. You can hold the pvc close to the bottom panel and guide it around where you want it without making a huge dust storm. A second set if hands makes it easier

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse the sand. Get a funnel and pvc pipe and pour the sand into the funnel. You can hold the pvc close to the bottom panel and guide it around where you want it without making a huge dust storm. A second set if hands makes it easier
Thanks! I did it myself and it was a bit challenging but I basically cut open a corner of the bag and (after wiping it off), put the bag in the tank 5g into a 15g water change of 40 breeder. It created a dust storm. However, after I paved the sand around, I took out 10 more gallons aiming to suck up as much excess dust as possible. Poured in fresh 15g of saltwater and used the clarifying thing that came with it and changed the filter pad. 12hrs later the tank was crystal clear

Attachments

• 3EF1B372-1885-4156-947A-6E2F59B7D77C.jpeg
    3EF1B372-1885-4156-947A-6E2F59B7D77C.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 50

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sand is magnetic and a huge pain when cleaning the glass because it gets attached do the magnetic cleaner and won’t come off unless you physically remove it by hand. Very easy to scratch the glass. I liked to look too but stopped using it because of that.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 127 59.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.4%
Back