BLACK SKIMMATE

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chris444
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Chris444

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
119
Reaction score
82
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmate in my skimmer has been BLACK for the past few days now, is there anything to worry about?
Also I have a cloudy water and it smells a little bit acidy. Could this be related?

All the parameters are fine and livestock looks happy.

20190517_060938.jpg
 
did you have algae die off? That skimmate looks ok to me. Or did you lose any fish or inverts?

Acidic smell doesn’t sound normal though. I would run carbon and do a water change. Do you dose carbon?
 
The dust from poorly rinsed carbon will definitely make the gunk black. I’d just keep emptying the skimmer out. Regardless of what it is your skimmer is doing a fine job of removing it. Also, I have seen that color from freshly added live rock that is still undergoing die off. The black is from hydrogen sulfide gas which stinks. Again, be glad its getting removed!
 
did you have algae die off? That skimmate looks ok to me. Or did you lose any fish or inverts?

Acidic smell doesn’t sound normal though. I would run carbon and do a water change. Do you dose carbon?

Luckily I didnt loose anything.
Yeah I'll do water change today and replace carbon
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new