Black specs on my tang...?

JasonH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help identify the black spec on my yellow tang? Screenshot_20160730-184032.png

Thanks in advance!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Ich:

Symptoms - This looks like tiny black dots on the body or fins. Black ich is caused by an infestation of turbellarian flatworms and is mostly seen in tangs. It is “ich” in name only and requires an entirely different treatment than Cryptocaryon irritans.

Treatment options – Prazipro, or formalin bath.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip will provide temporary relief if you can't get your hands on Prazipro within the next few days.

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's black ich. Follow humble fish's advise. Prazi should cure it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can my other fish and corals catch it?

Fish - yes. Corals - no. Although some eggs may be present in the aquarium. Best to treat the entire DT with Prazipro, wait a week and dose again.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you remove any carbon, gfo, skimmer etc when you dose it. Can turn skimmer back on after a couple days. Make sure you do a second dose after a week as mentioned, and turn skimmer etc back off again. The second dose is to kill any worms that hatched after the first dose was used up, as it does not kill eggs.

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to catch the yellow tang without any sucess. I figuredthat I would get him out today. When i looked at him all the black specs are gone..????? Is this possible????

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did a FW dip on the tang and they all fell off they are just going to return eventually if no treatment is administered. The worms follow a Predictable life cycle and if that cycle isn't broken they will continue to return

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. however i was unable to catch him last night to do the freshwater dip. I planned on doing it today so I could take apart the scapeto get to him.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to catch the yellow tang without any sucess. I figuredthat I would get him out today. When i looked at him all the black specs are gone..????? Is this possible????

Yes, dropping off the (fish) host is part of their life cycle. See below:
The worm releases from the host and falls to the tank bottom to become an adult, which reproduces to make free-swimming worms that find new hosts. Repeated cycles of reproduction can produce heavily infected fish.

Source: http://www.seascapestudio.net/reference/disease.php?id=turbellarian_infestation

Back