Black Spot? Black Ich? Still there

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tang that broke out into what looks like black ich and I’ve done all treatments to kill or get rid of them. To include; fresh water dip, API General cure, Prazipro, & even furan-2. I have noticed that no new spots have appeared since treatment (It’s been a few weeks), but the spots are very raised and seems to have something coming out of them in some areas. Do you think the parasite is dead inside and the tang’s body is rejecting or pushing them out?
9DD5B8B8-E7AB-4F83-AA33-35FD506113A4.jpeg
4CBAF68C-6BF3-4A73-A0F6-402E47546B31.jpeg
A14A8EC2-844A-4032-B0DC-A08A29178394.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how effective those meds would be at warding off ich....but i would try 14 days at 2ppm of copper power and transfer to sterile QT for observation first.....

OP
OP
SaltFishTV

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how effective those meds would be at warding off ich....but i would try 14 days at 2ppm of copper power and transfer to sterile QT for observation first.....
So, black spot or ich is a type of flatworm parasite. It’s not like regular ich so treatment is a bit different. I’m just wondering if the treatments are supposed to eject the worm off the body or if it just kills it still burrowed under the skin. I just want to make sure it is dead.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have this variety.

"Piscinquilinus are relatively large and lie deep within the dermis. As a result, a pigmented dermis may show once killed, resulting in a black spot, regardless of a living parasite within the skin.

Both species are thought to have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles. This cycle is completed in 10 days although from research by Justine et al. (2009) showed the Piscinquilinus remained on the fish for at least 30 days."

Says black spots may remain but didnt say anything about raised bumps remaining.
Its quite possible theyre still there alive. Hopefully you did disrupt the lifecycle as you reported no new spots :)

OP
OP
SaltFishTV

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have this variety.

"Piscinquilinus are relatively large and lie deep within the dermis. As a result, a pigmented dermis may show once killed, resulting in a black spot, regardless of a living parasite within the skin.

Both species are thought to have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles. This cycle is completed in 10 days although from research by Justine et al. (2009) showed the Piscinquilinus remained on the fish for at least 30 days."

Says black spots may remain but didnt say anything about raised bumps remaining.
Its quite possible theyre still there alive. Hopefully you did disrupt the lifecycle as you reported no new spots :)
That’s what I’m hoping for! I’ve been dosing prazipro aggressively and seems to be helping and preventing the spread. I may try another fresh dip and see if they want to release this time. Thank you so much!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tang that broke out into what looks like black ich and I’ve done all treatments to kill or get rid of them. To include; fresh water dip, API General cure, Prazipro, & even furan-2. I have noticed that no new spots have appeared since treatment (It’s been a few weeks), but the spots are very raised and seems to have something coming out of them in some areas. Do you think the parasite is dead inside and the tang’s body is rejecting or pushing them out?
9DD5B8B8-E7AB-4F83-AA33-35FD506113A4.jpeg
4CBAF68C-6BF3-4A73-A0F6-402E47546B31.jpeg
A14A8EC2-844A-4032-B0DC-A08A29178394.jpeg
That’s too large to be black ich/ tang turbellarian. More likely to be an digenean fluke. You’re right, they could well be dead now, and the fish just hasn’t yet healed them over.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltFishTV

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s too large to be black ich/ tang turbellarian. More likely to be an digenean fluke. You’re right, they could well be dead now, and the fish just hasn’t yet healed them over.

Jay
Oh I hope I killed them. I’ve been treating aggressively. I’ll keep this one separated and monitored closely. Thank you!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back