Black spots on clown fish

Holland16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, been noticing my clown fish has been getting these little black spots on it started very subtle as in the picture below and has increased quite a bit in the last few day..
I have 7 other fish and they all look great! The particular clown fish is still acting/ eating normal
Any suggestions on where to start?

755FC277-76CC-4BF8-A9CB-A03A06C142C5.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, been noticing my clown fish has been getting these little black spots on it started very subtle as in the picture below and has increased quite a bit in the last few day..
I have 7 other fish and they all look great! The particular clown fish is still acting/ eating normal
Any suggestions on where to start?

755FC277-76CC-4BF8-A9CB-A03A06C142C5.jpeg
Known as hyper-melanization may have come from coral sting such as anemone or other coral such as hammer, torch or similar. Mine got stung by elegance coral. You dont need to treat with anything as it will self heal and allowing the clown to become accustomed to the sting from host

OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Known as hyper-melanization may have come from coral sting such as anemone or other coral such as hammer, torch or similar. Mine got stung by elegance coral. You dont need to treat with anything as it will self heal and allowing the clown to become accustomed to the sting from host
I appreciate the quick reply so I only have Zoa in my tank cần they still sting?? I’m newer to corals

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I appreciate the quick reply so I only have Zoa in my tank cần they still sting?? I’m newer to corals
Few xoa sting but by chance were the spots there already?
If not have you seen them gone near the zoa

OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots were never there. It started as the few like in the picture I posted but the number of spots is probably 8-10 on each side of her now.. I have had the Zoa closet to her but not by where she normally swims look really ticked off the last week or so thought maybe it had some sort of correlation but wanted to be sure it’s not a illness that could harm the whole system especially since the spots have increased over the last few days. i dont normally see her close to any zoa's

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this a long time ago and actually ended up turning black with a little bit of orange here and there…

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely sure what they are or what caused it but I would try soaking your fish food with Red Sea's Reef Energy AB+. This method helps cure Hole-in-the-head disease for clownfishes and perhaps this will help it heal itself. Try it for a week or two to see how it does. Good luck to you.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm not entirely sure what they are or what caused it but I would try soaking your fish food with Red Sea's Reef Energy AB+. This method helps cure Hole-in-the-head disease for clownfishes and perhaps this will help it heal itself. Try it for a week or two to see how it does. Good luck to you.
Reef AB is a coral supplement and DOES NOT cure hole in the head which is HLLE. Maintaing good water quality and a diet in fats and aminos does

OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff?

Attachments

• 40C5EEAD-58AB-49B3-8FD8-1B81DBADD18F.png
    40C5EEAD-58AB-49B3-8FD8-1B81DBADD18F.png
    574.5 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the clown today keeps just getting more spots

Attachments

• AB633963-EAB5-4581-84AC-2F8FDECEB765.png
    AB633963-EAB5-4581-84AC-2F8FDECEB765.png
    638.3 KB · Views: 59
  • BA7CC24F-D160-44B0-872F-530785C65456.png
    BA7CC24F-D160-44B0-872F-530785C65456.png
    759.4 KB · Views: 80

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Isn’t that what ab+ is? Amino acids?
Its carbohydrates which contain amino but for the growth and coloration of corals especially photosynthetic coral. For fish you want supplement such as AminOmega which includes high-protein additions with fish and shrimp meal. Fish begin t extract protein from their own tissue when their requirements diminish

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef AB is a coral supplement and DOES NOT cure hole in the head which is HLLE. Maintaing good water quality and a diet in fats and aminos does

I get that it's a coral supplement but it works for hole in the head disease. I'm speaking with personal experience, are you? My guess is that you haven't tried this for yourself since you're so adamant.

I tried it on my clownfish pair after learning about it from someone I've come to trust. It took about a week to start seeing the results; it worked almost immediately and took about 3 weeks to a month to see the holes in the head gone completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the clown today keeps just getting more spots

It also looks like it has a little bit of the hole in the head disease that I mentioned earlier. Look closely at the side of the forehead and you'll see bit of missing flesh. I would highly recommend try using the Reef Nutrition AB+.

What kind of food are you feeding them? For me, I use a combination of frozen mysis shrimp and flake food. I take some Hikari frozen mysis shrimps, thaw them out by giving the cubes a good rinse with RODi water about 3 times then drain with a kitchen stainless steal mesh strainer and pat dry with a paper towel. Then I add Ocean Nutrition's Prime Reef Flakes and mix. From there I place the food onto a freezer zip lock bag and spread it evenly. This is what I use to feed.

Whenever I see the hole in the head, I take a few small frozen pieces out and drop some Reef Nutrition's AB+ and let it soak for a while.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I get that it's a coral supplement but it works for hole in the head disease. I'm speaking with personal experience, are you? My guess is that you haven't tried this for yourself since you're so adamant.

I tried it on my clownfish pair after learning about it from someone I've come to trust. It took about a week to start seeing the results; it worked almost immediately and took about 3 weeks to a month to see the holes in the head gone completely.

You see, when you don't know something, that's okay.
Doing this almost 40 years - yes from experience. Owning an LFS and attending too many seminars- Im very familar with most product including AB+. No where does product or ingredients state as a treatment especially being a coral food. With number of years will not claim to know everything but experienced a lot and know about HLLE and causes.
HLLE in marine fish is caused by a dietary problem with low levels of highly unsaturated fatty acids as well as use of unrinsed carbon in less than perfect water environments.

Last edited:

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing this almost 40 years - yes from experience. Owning an LFS and attending too many seminars- Im very familar with most product including AB+. No where does product or ingredients state as a treatment especially being a coral food. With number of years will not claim to know everything but experienced a lot and know about HLLE and causes.
HLLE in marine fish is caused by a dietary problem with low levels of highly unsaturated fatty acids as well as use of unrinsed carbon in less than perfect water environments.

To be fair, he told me to soak the food in animo acid. I decided to use AB+ since that was the only thing I had on hand. It's just something I stumbled upon and seemed to have worked well for me.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
To be fair, he told me to soak the food in animo acid. I decided to use AB+ since that was the only thing I had on hand. It's just something I stumbled upon and seemed to have worked well for me.
That sounds more logical and not coincidence- No doubt it helped but bottom line is that it healed and that is an accomplishment.

OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also looks like it has a little bit of the hole in the head disease that I mentioned earlier. Look closely at the side of the forehead and you'll see bit of missing flesh. I would highly recommend try using the Reef Nutrition AB+.

What kind of food are you feeding them? For me, I use a combination of frozen mysis shrimp and flake food. I take some Hikari frozen mysis shrimps, thaw them out by giving the cubes a good rinse with RODi water about 3 times then drain with a kitchen stainless steal mesh strainer and pat dry with a paper towel. Then I add Ocean Nutrition's Prime Reef Flakes and mix. From there I place the food onto a freezer zip lock bag and spread it evenly. This is what I use to feed.

Whenever I see the hole in the head, I take a few small frozen pieces out and drop some Reef Nutrition's AB+ and let it soak for a while.
This is the food that I feed with brine shrimp occasionally, and I think I know it is but I want to be sure is the AB+ okay to use with my starfish and shrimps? Just need to be sure I’m not gonna hurt anyone in the tank!

Attachments

• 24898864-DDA3-4C04-B6F7-021533139A2B.jpeg
    24898864-DDA3-4C04-B6F7-021533139A2B.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 59

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back