Black spots on Clown Goby

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Trying to help out my new fish. Purchased him about 3-4 days ago. If he already had this I did not notice. Right now, it is in my QT tank and I want to do what I can to get him healthy. Almost looks like ick but with black spots. Can anyone identify? Can anyone also help me treat this?

Thanks in advance!

8E42D2C4-C311-4C11-8014-DA5F3CA2F256.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be turbellaria worms or even anemone stings.
@Jay Hemdal

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I am not sure if it necessarily black spots, but it could be a bacterial/fungal disease, and it is scratching and the scales are removing and revealing inflammation or something. I could be wrong, but it could also be Black Ich, or some sort of external parasite.
I would use API General Cure for that.
Also maybe get some Seachem Stressguard (helps when QTing fish, and when acclimating them to a new tank)
Is the fish eating? If it is eating and you start to treat the symptoms there is a much greater chance of success.
Hope things go well, and the little guy pulls through!

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so easy for the fish to have a parasite take a stronger hold when in a new tank due to stress or the parasite being very mild at the beginning, and just starting to grow and take stronger control which results in you being able to see it.
Saltwater fish parasites and diseases suck ;(
And Quarantining can be super annoying.
General Cure and or Melafix may work for that.

OP
OP
D

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I am not sure if it necessarily black spots, but it could be a bacterial/fungal disease, and it is scratching and the scales are removing and revealing inflammation or something. I could be wrong, but it could also be Black Ich, or some sort of external parasite.
I would use API General Cure for that.
Also maybe get some Seachem Stressguard (helps when QTing fish, and when acclimating them to a new tank)
Is the fish eating? If it is eating and you start to treat the symptoms there is a much greater chance of success.
Hope things go well, and the little guy pulls through!
He was not eating the first 2 days. Started feeding twice a day and he just started scarfing down food yesterday at the second feeding. I’ll defiantly give those 2 additives a try. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
D

DKQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so easy for the fish to have a parasite take a stronger hold when in a new tank due to stress or the parasite being very mild at the beginning, and just starting to grow and take stronger control which results in you being able to see it.
Saltwater fish parasites and diseases suck ;(
And Quarantining can be super annoying.
General Cure and or Melafix may work for that.
I’ll give those a try! Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give those a try! Thank you!
I'm wary of adding General Cure to a tank with invertebrates. The praziquantel component is fine, but the metronidazole could cause problems. Melafix is more of a botanical extract and doesn't have a good track record for controlling active parasite disease.

Overall, the fish looks a bit pale and the fins look cloudy. General Cure in a treatment tank would be what I suggest, but I've had many reports the GC isn't available any longer, so unless you find some old stock, you may not find any.
Prazipro can be used in with invertebrates and has at least some of the benefits of GC.

Jay

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wary of adding General Cure to a tank with invertebrates. The praziquantel component is fine, but the metronidazole could cause problems. Melafix is more of a botanical extract and doesn't have a good track record for controlling active parasite disease.

Overall, the fish looks a bit pale and the fins look cloudy. General Cure in a treatment tank would be what I suggest, but I've had many reports the GC isn't available any longer, so unless you find some old stock, you may not find any.
Prazipro can be used in with invertebrates and has at least some of the benefits of GC.

Jay
You are definitely more of an expert. I had thought he had said the clown goby was in a qt tank, and I guess I assumed it didn’t have inverts. But I personally have not used general cure. I just have heard usually very positive things about it. And yeah Melafix might be a little too “natural” but if it is some sort of bacterial related issues it should stop it from worsening especially if the goby had been scratching his scales.

But prazi should be a better solution, as well as possibly some other alternatives.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are definitely more of an expert. I had thought he had said the clown goby was in a qt tank, and I guess I assumed it didn’t have inverts. But I personally have not used general cure. I just have heard usually very positive things about it. And yeah Melafix might be a little too “natural” but if it is some sort of bacterial related issues it should stop it from worsening especially if the goby had been scratching his scales.

But prazi should be a better solution, as well as possibly some other alternatives.
I see - I was going off the snail shells on the photo, thought it was with inverts.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back