Black spots on cured rock

peylow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ! New to the forum! I was wondering if anyone can see anything alarming in these photos? I bought some rock that has been sitting in a bucket for a while (says seller). The water is cold and salinity is 35 i have a powerhead and heater in the bucket atm. Worm was already dead but can anyone id? Also, does anyone know if bacteria will survive being that it was out in the cold? Thanks in advance!

IMG_8869.jpeg IMG_8868.jpeg IMG_8867.jpeg IMG_8865.jpeg IMG_8866.jpeg IMG_8862.jpeg IMG_8864.jpeg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock looks fine to me. As for bacteria, you will still have a good population assuming nothing toxic made its way into the bucket.

OP
OP
P

peylow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock looks fine to me. As for bacteria, you will still have a good population assuming nothing toxic made its way into the bucket.
Ok that sounds scary! And thanks for the response! Any recommendations on what to do before i add it to my tank? It’s only 8 months old and i started with dry rock & live sand

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup rock looks ok. Thought it would be some bottom facing LR as often black developes when anaerobic bacteria is active

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that sounds scary! And thanks for the response! Any recommendations on what to do before i add it to my tank? It’s only 8 months old and i started with dry rock & live sand

I’d just shake it in a bucket of old tank water (or fresh saltwater) to dislodge any debris.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back