Period for dead rock become live

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I want to replace a huge rock from my tank & replace it with dead rock.
As my knowledge from the seller, the rock been washed thoroughly & dried under the sun for don't know how many months.
For my side, I will prepare a bucket with a return pump in it to cure the dead rock.
I will dose bacteria in it, but other than that what else I need to do? Do i need to put a light on it as well?
How long typically it should be cure under a bucket before I could switch it with the old rock without causing a cycle?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new rock will not cause a cycle, unless there is something dead on it left that can further decompose. A bath it citric acid or a 10% bleach solution should make sure of that. A soak in RODI after with a Declor if you use bleach.
You will have a case of the uglies on this rock because it is wide open for every pest to grow on. If you do not want that then you will have to cure the rock separately. The best would be to stick it in your sump if you have room. If not, you are going to have to Cure the rock in a separate system. Bucket, heat, flow, and light later on if you want Coraline on it. But in truth the whole process will be faster in your system. It will get ugly, but it is the fastest.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new rock will not cause a cycle, unless there is something dead on it left that can further decompose. A bath it citric acid or a 10% bleach solution should make sure of that. A soak in RODI after with a Declor if you use bleach.
You will have a case of the uglies on this rock because it is wide open for every pest to grow on. If you do not want that then you will have to cure the rock separately. The best would be to stick it in your sump if you have room. If not, you are going to have to Cure the rock in a separate system. Bucket, heat, flow, and light later on if you want Coraline on it. But in truth the whole process will be faster in your system. It will get ugly, but it is the fastest.

So if the rock is properly cured. I replace it with my old rock, i wouldn't need to worry about the lost of good bacteria on my old rock?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the rock is properly cured. I replace it with my old rock, i wouldn't need to worry about the lost of good bacteria on my old rock?
Just to clarify the question, are good bacteria nitrifying bacteria?

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is not the only rock in your tank, it will be fine to swap it out. The rock that you did not remove should still carry the load. A FTS would be helpful. When I've done stuff like this, I put the new rock in without curing it.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-17 at 22.08.49.jpeg

Right side that huge chunk of rock is the one I want to swap.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is not the only rock in your tank, it will be fine to swap it out. The rock that you did not remove should still carry the load. A FTS would be helpful. When I've done stuff like this, I put the new rock in without curing it.

Yeah,it isn't the only rock inside the tank.
U mean the full tank shot right?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really you should be fine to swap it out, the other rocks will cover for you biologically. Maybe reduce your feedings slightly for a few days so the other bacteria can restructure the load. But again you will have a bunch of nastiness growing on the new rock until it becomes established.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will have a bunch of nastiness growing on the new rock until it becomes established.
The last time I swapped in new dry rock, I did not get any nasties. It got a bit green, a few days in but that was about it. I think it depends on how the tank is. If you have a bunch of GHS and other stuff, it may take to the new space. This tank looks pretty good and should not see much at all.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,it isn't the only rock inside the tank.
U mean the full tank shot right?
Yes, full tank shot. It will be fine. Enough established rock to support what you have. Swap the rock and continue to do what you're doing. Your tank looks great.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back