Black spots on sps

Pricey95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had these in the tank for around 4 months from tiny frags. Noticed yesterday some black spots?

20240227_203845.jpg 20240227_203850.jpg

OP
OP
Pricey95

Pricey95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a whole within?
Almost like somethings eating at it
It's hard to tell.

OP
OP
Pricey95

Pricey95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have? My copper band will nip at lps like this and leave these holes.
I've got two clownfish/2 cleaner shrimp/few big hermits/regal tang. There's usually a hermit that hangs around on the coral..

sounds like peeling tissue and the black spots are missing tissue. maybe that torch hit them or ur chemistry or acclimation was off?
Yes the picture seems to be close but, they're no way touchable, all parameters are spot on. Just done another ICP and all is fine etc. They've been thriving for months and have started to encrust like crazy over the skull. Just cannot figure out what's happened/happening. Everything else is spot on and having no issues. I've dosed Zlements for around 5 months now with no water changes.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two clownfish/2 cleaner shrimp/few big hermits/regal tang. There's usually a hermit that hangs around on the coral..

Yes the picture seems to be close but, they're no way touchable, all parameters are spot on. Just done another ICP and all is fine etc. They've been thriving for months and have started to encrust like crazy over the skull. Just cannot figure out what's happened/happening. Everything else is spot on and having no issues. I've dosed Zlements for around 5 months now with no water changes.
Mine is doing the same haven't figured it out. Acros etc all done cyphastrea slow growth and missing tissue like URS

OP
OP
Pricey95

Pricey95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is doing the same haven't figured it out. Acros etc all done cyphastrea slow growth and missing tissue like URS
I've done a bit more research, seems to sound like it's common with an alk swing. Do my daily drop is 1.1DKH and I'm dropping 11ml of kh in the tank in one drop. I've set the doser to do it in 3 parts now and see if that helps.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back