Black trigger eyes

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s in copper QT at the moment but noticed this the other day but couldn’t tell if it was a glare. It wasn’t moving/hanging like it is today. Both eyes have this though opposite it’s not hanging. Any ideas? I did prazi 2x. Initial dose, then about a week later maybe less 25% water change, second dose, then just under a week another water change. Didn’t see the eye thing at the time but prazi didn’t faze him when dosing.

*edit* - additional info. He shows no signs that would raise any concern. Eats like a champ. No odd behaviors, excessive hiding etc. He's been in coppersafe for maybe 6 days (don't have the excel dates, ppm tracking on this computer). I plan to keep him in QT at least 2-3 weeks after copper. I have another QT with a smaller purple tang and starry blenny that come out of copper at the same time that need to go through prazi. I want them in the DT first. I can do another go of prazi for trigger if any thinks is necessary or relevant to the eye issue.

IMG_5953.jpeg Youtube of attached video so no one has to download

Attachments

• IMG_5955.mov
    17.3 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be a rub injury
What copper level were you dosing?
I’m a little confused- copper 3 weeks? Then prazi or prazi first?

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a rub injury
What copper level were you dosing?
I’m a little confused- copper 3 weeks? Then prazi or prazi first?
Ok thanks. It's like that on both eyes though the opposite it's not hanging or swaying like the one in the video. Just seems to be on the cornea/lid.

Sorry for the confusion.

I originally had the black trigger, purple tang, starry blenny and a tamarin in a 40b. The trigger snacked on the tamarin so I split them out into a 40b and a 20g.

I intended to run prazi on both tanks at the same time, then once complete start the copper treatment. The tang developed an eye infection so I had to run erythromycin in the 20g. Instead of waiting for that to complete to keep both tanks in sync, I went ahead and treated the 40b (Trigger tank) with prazi.

Should have been:
40b Prazi -> Copper
20g Prazi -> Copper

but ended up:
40b Prazi -> Copper
20g Erythromycin -> Copper -> still needs prazi

*edit* - Coppersafe levels between 2.0-2.5. 20g was 2.24 today and 40b was 2.09. I added more copper to the 40b to try to get back to ~2.25ppm. For the 2-3 week comment I was intending to keep the trigger in QT several week after copper treatment is complete (should be completed 3/10) so I can treat the 20g with prazi and introduce the smaller fish to the DT first, then the trigger. Copper treatment will be a full 30 days for both tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok thanks. It's like that on both eyes though the opposite it's not hanging or swaying like the one in the video. Just seems to be on the cornea/lid.

Sorry for the confusion.

I originally had the black trigger, purple tang, starry blenny and a tamarin in a 40b. The trigger snacked on the tamarin so I split them out into a 40b and a 20g.

I intended to run prazi on both tanks at the same time, then once complete start the copper treatment. The tang developed an eye infection so I had to run erythromycin in the 20g. Instead of waiting for that to complete to keep both tanks in sync, I went ahead and treated the 40b (Trigger tank) with prazi.

Should have been:
40b Prazi -> Copper
20g Prazi -> Copper

but ended up:
40b Prazi -> Copper
20g Erythromycin -> Copper -> still needs prazi

*edit* - Coppersafe levels between 2.0-2.5. 20g was 2.24 today and 40b was 2.09. I added more copper to the 40b to try to get back to ~2.25ppm. For the 2-3 week comment I was intending to keep the trigger in QT several week after copper treatment is complete (should be completed 3/10) so I can treat the 20g with prazi and introduce the smaller fish to the DT first, then the trigger. Copper treatment will be a full 30 days for both tanks.
It’s copper first for 30 days water change then prazi- DO NOT MIX

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s in copper QT at the moment but noticed this the other day but couldn’t tell if it was a glare. It wasn’t moving/hanging like it is today. Both eyes have this though opposite it’s not hanging. Any ideas? I did prazi 2x. Initial dose, then about a week later maybe less 25% water change, second dose, then just under a week another water change. Didn’t see the eye thing at the time but prazi didn’t faze him when dosing.

*edit* - additional info. He shows no signs that would raise any concern. Eats like a champ. No odd behaviors, excessive hiding etc. He's been in coppersafe for maybe 6 days (don't have the excel dates, ppm tracking on this computer). I plan to keep him in QT at least 2-3 weeks after copper. I have another QT with a smaller purple tang and starry blenny that come out of copper at the same time that need to go through prazi. I want them in the DT first. I can do another go of prazi for trigger if any thinks is necessary or relevant to the eye issue.

IMG_5953.jpeg Youtube of attached video so no one has to download

Are you suspecting eye flukes? Neobenedenia doesn't look like this, and the prazi 2x should have at least temporarily removed those.

The left eye looks like mucus from a physical scrape to me.....

Jay

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suspecting eye flukes? Neobenedenia doesn't look like this, and the prazi 2x should have at least temporarily removed those.

The left eye looks like mucus from a physical scrape to me.....

Jay

Thanks Jay

I honestly wasn't sure what it could be. I know a lot of threads I've read lately with eye issues when the purple tang developed an eye issue asked the question of one eye or both with one eye lending credence to injury and both eyes opening the possibility to flukes or other things. Figured since this was both eyes I should do my diligence, especially since he's already in QT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back