74480B4A-F544-48AE-B231-BE7326F15CA4.jpeg
74480B4A-F544-48AE-B231-BE7326F15CA4.jpeg

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
67814F4D-2653-4AE3-9B29-57AD34D8EA8F.jpeg

Here's mine. I got it about 3 months ago from my LFS for $50 (!!) because they didn't want the hassle of trying to pry it out of the rock it came in after they bought a bunch of splits from one of their customers! I think they regretted it once they saw how big it was when I posted a pic of it on our local reef FB group. It's been wondering around the past few days after the rainbow it was next to split. The BW sting hasn't killed anything yet and so far both the rainbows and BW have been pretty happy in the tank.
This doesnt look like a black widow to me. Apart from the webbings, black widows must have intense red coloration. The more intense the better. This one you have doesnt look red at all.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of black widows as you see in my avatar. One thing I noticed over the years, the webbing dont really go away. But whenever you have a split, webbings in the new one might not be an exact replica, could have slightly different webbings pattern. Also some of mine have lots of white specks on the tentales while others dont, even they all came from the same specimen.

ThePhoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of black widows as you see in my avatar. One thing I noticed over the years, the webbing dont really go away. But whenever you have a split, webbings in the new one might not be an exact replica, could have slightly different webbings pattern. Also some of mine have lots of white specks on the tentales while others dont, even they all came from the same specimen.
Weird, I think it may be the issue of black widow living with other bta, or not from same clone which makes them chem warfare each other. If I don’t keep up with carbon change once per 1-2 week they would Be tick off. I got a black widow that had webbing when it arrived but after few weeks in my tank the webbing was gone. I have different morphs of bta in tank

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, I think it may be the issue of black widow living with other bta, or not from same clone which makes them chem warfare each other. If I don’t keep up with carbon change once per 1-2 week they would Be tick off. I got a black widow that had webbing when it arrived but after few weeks in my tank the webbing was gone. I have different morphs of bta in tank
So you mean if you dont change the carbon, the black widow will lose its webbing? Not really clear. I only have like 12 or more black widowsin my tank and all came from same nem. So nothing can go wrong really.

ThePhoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you mean if you dont change the carbon, the black widow will lose its webbing? Not really clear. I only have like 12 or more black widowsin my tank and all came from same nem. So nothing can go wrong really.
That’s the reason since they came from same nem they won’t attack each other. Mine is with other bta from different sellers.I have Sherman’s, rainbow, rose BTAs.

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
67814F4D-2653-4AE3-9B29-57AD34D8EA8F.jpeg

Here's mine. I got it about 3 months ago from my LFS for $50 (!!) because they didn't want the hassle of trying to pry it out of the rock it came in after they bought a bunch of splits from one of their customers! I think they regretted it once they saw how big it was when I posted a pic of it on our local reef FB group. It's been wondering around the past few days after the rainbow it was next to split. The BW sting hasn't killed anything yet and so far both the rainbows and BW have been pretty happy in the tank.
this size in my lfs, at least $350. lucky man!

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO some BTAs are easier than others to keep, and Black Widow is one of the easier ones.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back