Blackfoot Lion and others

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all:

I started talking about my success so far with a blackfoot lionfish on another thread:

http://www.club-zoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3848

but I figured I shouldn't derail that thread and start my own new one to discuss the species and post pics of them. Here are a few pics of my guy and his Fu-manchu tankmate.

Ivan

Blackfoot04.jpg

Blackfoot05.jpg

Blackfoot06.jpg

Blackfoot07.jpg

Fumanchu02.jpg

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love lions! I have a clown goby that started feeding on my Elegance coral! I was thinking of getting a lionfish just to make him LUNCH!!! I am having trouble catching the goby.

I kept lions in the past and they were awesome. Once you train them to eat cocktail shrimp works as a good food source. Leave off the sauce ;)

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

AWESOME!!!

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Where did you get him?
2. What temp are you keeping him at?
3. How long have you had him?
4. Is he feeding good? If so, what?

He really is awesome, GOOD JOB!!!

Thanks,
Steve

OP
OP
A

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments guys. Steve, here are the answers in the order they were asked:

1-At my LFS called The Aquarium
2-The temps vary during the day but they are between 82-85 degrees
3-About 4 weeks now.
4-He is eating like a champ but only live food so far.

Ivan

OP
OP
A

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some close-ups I took today of both the Blackfoot and the Fu-Manchu.
Hope you enjoy.

Ivan

Blackfoot08.jpg

Blackfoot09.jpg

Fumanchu03.jpg

Fumanchu04.jpg

Mysterywrasse01.jpg

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I allso have a fu man chu and it quickly became my favorite fish after learning to eat frozen. Nice pics!!

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fu ManChu eats just about everything that's Meaty...Frozen or Dried regardless!! I feed him Krill, Sand Eel, Live or frozen shrimps and I usually hand feed him now!
He comes up to the Food in between my fingers and Wham...swallows 'em as quickly as my eyes can see it disappear in a flash.

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW... That is awesome.

I had heard that the Blackfoot lion was difficult to keep alive because they like colder temps.

I have been searching for one ever since I saw your first post.

IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN FIND ONE, PLEASE PM ME!!!

Thanks for keeping this thread going. I think the fact that you are keeping him alive is very inspirational. Please keep us posted.

Can you check with the store you got him from and see if they can get another? If so maybe you or they could overnite it to me. I would pay up front.

LMK,
Steve

OP
OP
A

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackfoots appear to be delicate and poor shippers as well. I was quite lucky to get this one but the store owner is my best friend too so it helps. I already told him to get me at least 1 more so if he manages to get some more I will let you know. However, can't guarantee he will be willing to ship the fish.

Just as an update, by no fault of mine the water temperature in the Blackfoot tank got to 87 degrees. The tank is in the garage and the temps here in Florida got quite high in the last few days. I don't have a heater in the tank but the air temp got quite hot. But the good news are the, despite the higher temps in the tank, the Blackfoot responded by being more active and eating 3 big ghost shrimp today. I still did a minor water change in order to get new, cooler water in the tank and get it down to 84 degrees.

Will keep updating and posting pics as I find time.

Ivan

OP
OP
A

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update as of 8:45 PM today (6/5/2007). The Blackfoot Lion finally ate frozen krill, 2 large pieces to be exact. If he keeps this up, it should be a lot easier to keep him well fed and happy.

Ivan

OP
OP
A

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6/24/07 update. Blackfoot lion still going strong and eating frozen krill without hesitating. Water temperature is still on the high end due to the heat wave but it fluctuates between 84 and 88 depending on the time of the day. We are expecting finally some rains so it should cool down the overall temps and keep the tank cooler.

On a separate note, I finsihed setting my 300 gallon salt tank and it is housing its first of several inhabitants. See attached pics below.

Ivan

300g07.jpg

Blueline09.jpg

OP
OP
A

alfon76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More additions to the new tank.

Here are 2 more additions to the 300 gallon tank. More to come soon hopefully.

Ivan

Harlequintusk06.jpg

Personifer05.jpg

Last edited:

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lion

Cool fish! They are so much fun to keep. Everyone told me my radiata would never make it when I first got him, but he's been going strong for over a year now. I put a small peppermint hog in with him a few months ago and they get along great. The hog swims through Leo's fins all the time and Leo doesn't seem to care. My friends love watching me hand feed him live shrimp and such.

Good luck with them! I've always wanted a Fu too, but have to be satisfied with what I have. :D

(when I first got him)
radiata.jpg

radiatamac.jpg

RFossler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi

so far the only web site i found where you can buy blackfoot lionfish is on
www.saltwaterfish.com but i am still looking for more info on these pretty blackfoot lionfish.

Last edited:

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember my dwarf lionfish. It was not eating and sick for weeks at the LFS. I felt bad and bought it. It ended up eating ghost shrimps and got all healthy. I loved it i kept it with shrimps and crabs and it never bother them but it would only eat ghost shrimps and i got tired of buying them so i traded it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back