OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing CV, will see if it has any effect on corals. Plan is to dose 2 drops every second day.

Dosage will look like:
ZeoStart 0.15ml 2x daily
Zeobak 2 drops 2x weekly
Sponge power 2 drops every other day
Coral Vitalizer 2 drops every other day (alternate with SP)
Coral snow 1.7ml a few times per week to see if water clarity improves (it’s not bad atm)

Sg: 1.0251 (swaying over the day atm, nothing seems to suffer so far though, trying to get hold of a new sensor)
Alk: 7.8 dKH
Temp: 26.1 (min 25C max 27.1C Over the day... really hot here atm, 28-30 degrees C mid day, which is about 10-12 degrees hotter than usual this time of year)

Stay tuned for follow ups :)

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No updates for a while, been away a lot and not much has happened with the tank.

A short summary:

Tried my luck with a potters angel, it looked really healthy the first 2 days, was active and eating, however once I left for work for a few days it died before I came back home... I know they’re not the easiest dwarf angel, but one of my favorites, I’ll probably try one again sometime.

Temperatures has been sky-high here for quite a while, and reefing without a chiller has been eventful to say the least, trying to keep the tank below 27.5C, but it often creeps up higher than that. Nothing seems to mind yet though. (Might have been a contributing factor to the potters death)

Battled Dino for quite a while, dosing a lot of Zeostart and keeping the tank “clean” seems to have “solved” the problem, which was probably high phosphate and low nitrates, now at least phosphates are lower as well :p The Dino’s also irritated a Montipora quite badly, leaving it browned out and damaged but alive, it has since recovered but is still brown, today I saw that it’s showing signs of getting its color back as well, showing color on tips and on some parts of the base. It’s growing quite nicely though, and has good PE so I’m positive :)

Took delivery of a couple of acros today, as a replacement for a shipment that arrived dead a while back, this time everything looks good! Wish I had a good camera to show them off, but the tank is pretty dark atm for acclimation anyways, so I’ll try and snap a few photos once it gets a little brighter.

That’s about it!
A little taste of what I got today :)
02d417fa511a3218838a3676a1d21ef2.jpg

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is slowly tugging along, getting some growth and trying to improve coloration a bit by lowering the PO4 which previously was a little high, now down to 0.02 (hanna, error range 0.00-0.04) and already getting a few corals to show some more colors!
So as already stated I'm not the best of photographers, working on improving it :oops: Some turned out okay at least. Even if the rocks turn out blue, the colors of the corals are accurate, the T5's had turned off for the day.

87175ddcc3a240240a43b57a5fe2a911.jpg
2ab87db002b41b47a7c830fcbcb92a75.jpg
23b4e5c8e7c1ef2a5ba83632102c44fe.jpg
400a976463ccf6fb056554707b86be4f.jpg

Tomorrow it's time to change out the zeovit media, and some water testing time.
May have to setup the doser for alkalinity soon if these start growing some more :)

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some watertesting this evening, everything seems almost "spot on" compared to where I want the numbers to be, except Mg which is a little low. Prepping some water for a smaller wc to see if I can get everything in the "green zone"

KH: 7.1
pH: 8.1
Ca: 380
K: 380
Mg: 1230
PO4: 0.02
NO3: 0.15
Sg: 1.0245 (a tiny bit low)

I suspect raising the salinity to target 1.0255 will get everything else to "perfect".

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took delivery of some eyecandy earlier today...
d0753f666234b29a7797e58b0a4d8c74.jpg

Names are probably different than what they’re called in the US, but since they’re only “tradenames” it’ll suffice.

From top to bottom:
Bonsai Hyperberry
Kobe Bean Acro
Piranha acro
Pikachu
Purple Candle
Saskatchewan Acro
Red digitata

All seems to have handled shipping from Germany pretty well, the digitata seems to be a little stressed out but I’m sure we can sort that out :)

If any Europeans read this, I highly recommend EuroCorals if you’re looking for a little more ”different” corals :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a little bit of trouble the last few days with the overflow/return not syncing properly leading to the ATO pumping freshwater when there's no need - IE salinity fluctuations :mad: Most of the corals look good despite this, however one Acropora is showing TN on the tips, very slowly though so hopefully it'll stop soon enough now that I've gotten the overflow to sync.

Other than that, introduced two new fish, one about a week ago, a Strigata sleeper goby, and one today, a Meleagris Leopard Wrasse. The Strigata is of course terrorizing corals with the sand, but a little work from my side keeps it okay, it's reluctantly eating some frozen food, but mostly just what's in the sand.
The wrasse is just buried atm, hopefully it gathers some confidence and comes out within a few days :)

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a disheartening morning... went to sleep with a active and eating meleagris wrasse, which buried in the sand when lights out... woke up to a dead wrasse stuck to one of the MP10’s... corpse looked completely healthy, and colors were good. Annoying to have it happen twice, different fish, with another fish added between which is looking great, and two clowns which look great.

Probably something internal, or just didn’t take the shipping well, since both were “bad shippers”

Well well :/

OP
OP
blackizzz

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After discovering the wrasse dead early this morning, I got a text about 4h later saying that the house was without power, and that the power outage was expected to last for 5 hours, not too big of a deal as I have a battery backup for one of the MP10's... Had the tank checked on and made sure the backup was working properly, it's supposed to last at least 5h (not a good battery, need to get an ecotech one...)

Everything was running smoothly and I thought I would be able to get home before the backup ran out of juice. About 1hr away from getting home, and 1hr after the power was supposed to be turned on I got another text saying that the power wouldn't return until after one more hour. No biggie, things wouldn't die just yet, but becoming a bit more stressed ;Shifty

20 minutes out, on my way home in the car, an additional text saying power outage will last another 3 hours, ie twice as long as originally planned, and twice as long as my battery was supposed to last :oops::eek:

Power returned 10h 24 minutes after turnoff, the battery backup held its ground for about 9.5h (running on 0% the last hour and a half lol) the rest I did by being a manual return pump between the sump and the tank :p

Good thing: some of the craziest PE i've seen in my tank once the flow turned off, and not a second of fishes looking worried :)

Not a great day of reefing, but both me and the tank are probably pleased with the outcome ;)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! Tough day, bro! Hope things start looking up for ya!

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up you got there !!
Zeovit can definitely produce some great results.. keep the updates coming. ;)

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 48 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back