Blackline blenny playing dead

ThunderGoose

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2016
Messages
938
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Beverly, Mass
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a blackline blenny from Coral Reef TN. She arrived yesterday and I was dismayed to see her floating upside down in the shipping bag. I documented her as DOA and went on to deal with the rest of the shipment.

Fortunately I looked at her again a bit later. Now she was right side up and moving.

[side note: CoralreefTN responded immediately to my DOA email, and then to my "well, no, not DOA" email - I've been very happy with all my fish orders from them!]

Time to float her in the QT!

Once I released her in the QT she quickly started floating, upside down, again. Oh, no! Maybe she WAS dying.

I left her in the QT just in case.

This morning she's out and about and even ATE! She looks great.

So my question: is this a behavioral issue? Was she "playing dead" to look less appetizing to predators? Has anyone else seen this sort of thing with blennies? Do they sometimes swim upside down?

I'm really glad I use a QT - she'll be in there for almost 2 months so I'll have plenty of time to watch her and make sure she's not really sick.
 
I've never seen this behavior. Maybe a swim bladder issue. Any other erratic swimming behaviors?
 
Yesterday she was acting fine and ate very well, this morning I didn't have time to watch her but she did eat "breakfast." I'm really puzzled.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new