Blasphemy? Setting up a cheap temporary tank

Nubomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. First post. Been out of the aquarium hobby for over 5 years now - a move, marriage and two kids took over all my time. I’m thinking about getting back in, other than the beta we have for the little ones.

I’ve done saltwater before, mainly a 55G FOWLR and towards the end dabbled with some corals - with an ugly metal halide hood that I still have but don’t plan on using.

Eventually want to build out a nicer reef nano - thinking Biocube 32 or the IM 30L. However in the meantime, I want to test out my resolve without breaking the bank.

I have a 4 stage RO/DI unit that still works. May need new filters - getting 23 on TDS meter. One concern I have is that I’m now on well water with treatment/softener system, so I don’t know how good I can condition the water or any other issues running RO/DI unit with a well pump. Also have old assortment of Powerheads - some retrofitted for wider flow. Heater and Good amount of Live Rock now dead.

So, thoughts on a temp FOWLR setup with a basic 10G or 20G Petco tank and a HOB filter? This way I can get my dead rock cleaned up, practice cycling and maintaining a tank again and then adding basic cleanup crew and maybe 1 or 2 damsels? My thinking the cheap setup won’t go to waste, I can either use it for the kids or eventually as a quarantine tank and I’ll be ahead in setting up a real tank.

Good/bad idea? If good, any recommendations 10 or 20G, which HOB, should I bother with a cheap light?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Take it or leave it depending on your reality, but I'd suggest starting bigger. 10-20G is very limiting in what fish you can get.
Consider the same 55G size you had before, or at least a 40B. For FOWLR the 55 is nice because of the length - lots of swimming space. 40B is better for aquascaping and coral - just nice dimensions. For a HOB filter, look at the Seachem Tidal filters. By far my favorite HOB.
The Tidal 55 by Seachem- Review
Seachem Tidal HOB vs Fluval C4 - no contest

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let the live rock do it’s cleaning stuff in a bucket while the tank cycles. Then I would move the rock over. It’s really a pretty good idea. I really like the walmart kits though. They come with a lid and light. I like my Marineland penguin hob, but I’ve heard good things about aqua clear too. Also add some fake decorations like the plastic rocks that you can get from your lfs. Add them straight to the tank after rinsing. They can stay when you convert it to a qt. I wouldn’t recommend the damsels though. They are a pain to catch once you decide that you’ve got the hang of things. Just go straight for what you want in the end. I have a lot more advice for when you get the other tank set up if you, but I won’t put it all down here. I would recommend the 20 if you have the room.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and I say go for it. I would go with a 20. I like AquaClear, but they are all pretty much the same. Nothing wrong with a small tank to whet your appetite.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
1165A9ED-9E9A-492C-9B55-222127F92D4C.jpeg

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the nicer small fish have a 30 gallon minimum suggestion so maybe go with a 29? Same footprint as a 20 long but taller. I had one (it’s now my sump) and it gave the illusion of a bigger tank without taking up much room or being heavy to move when empty.

OP
OP
N

Nubomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Starting to price things out and I’m thinking of just jumping in with a basic AIO for little more money.

I like closed top to limit evap. Don’t won’t auto top off and don’t want to manually do it daily. Not concerned with heat since I plan to setup up in a basement that’s cool all year round.

Any other options other than Biocube or the Fluval Evo for a closed top solution?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back