Blast from the past

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0106161800(1).jpg

This picture is from my reef tank 12 years ago. I was going through my old phone and found this picture of Loard Helmet our horseshoe crab. We had him for 5 or 6 years before we got out of the hobby and gave everything to a lfs. I had started a business and we were moving so no time for a tank. Now I'm building a new tank and after looking for old pictures I thought I'd share this one. It's his molt and him in the background.

He was a destroyer of bristle worms. He would cruise the sand bed and destroy worms and flip over anything in his way. We bought him on a whim and didn't regret it at all. Hopefully he's still around somewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RockRash

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome ! I didn’t know they ate bristleworms!
Thanks! Yes, they absolutely love them. We would only see him a few days a month he lived in the sand you would see his lines where he was sturing it up. At night when he was out he would cruze around and when he stumbled across a bristleworm he would go crazy and gobble them up.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bet he was interesting to watch. They are super neat critters. The island where I surf fish in South Carolina is a breeding ground for them in the late spring, you’ve never seen horseshoe crabs like this, literally thousands lining the beach in the surf. They get huge too, I’ve seen them almost 4 foot tip to tail.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back