Bleached Anemone

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got what appears to be a green bubble tip anemone. Is it bleached or it's suppose to look like this, I got a RBTA and it looks bright compared to this one. I tried to take photos of it in different lighting to show up.

20220704_042559.jpg 20220704_042401.jpg 20220704_042349.jpg 20220704_042621.jpg 20220704_042506.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, okay and I literally asked the girl at the petco If it was bleached and she flat out told me no.
At petco? Most employees don't know. Some do. Any white see thru tissue like this, is bleached. Just means there's not a lot of zooxanthellae in the tissue. It will/should build up overtime as it gets the proper lighting and stable conditions.

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At petco? Most employees don't know. Some do. Any white see thru tissue like this, is bleached. Just means there's not a lot of zooxanthellae in the tissue. It will/should build up overtime as it gets the proper lighting and stable conditions.
I plan to help it survive, now I get why it ended up falling twice from the glass wall. The girl is knowledgeable about a majority of the saltwater fish and she was very firm when I asked her if it was bleached.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to help it survive, now I get why it ended up falling twice from the glass wall. The girl is knowledgeable about a majority of the saltwater fish and she was very firm when I asked her if it was bleached.
I'm sure you will do fine.
Eh, maybe she does know fish and not so much on inverts, either way, you probably got a good deal.

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you will do fine.
Eh, maybe she does know fish and not so much on inverts, either way, you probably got a good deal.
Yeah, I'm gonna have my work and research cut out for me to see how I can help it. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Ariahsart

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, this was a spontaneous buy.
How old is your tank? Do you have any other Coral?
7 months going on 8, I have a RBTA that is doing excellent, but I wanted to get a bigger one. I have pulsing xenia, candy cane coral and mushroom coral. I also have a cuc and two clowns

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Light no doubt. Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In her defence, we can't see it as well as you or she could with your eyes, and many GBTA do have Some level of translucence even when healthy, and not bleached.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back