20220727_191855.jpg
What should I do?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

This is the my first dive into a saltwater tank that I got as a Christmas gift last January

I took it slow and just started getting corals in September... and since then I have a slight addiction! Hoping to document my journey and pick the brains of people on the forum.

Equipment
Tank: Fluval Evo V
Lighting: AI Prime HD with gooseneck
Filtration: InTank Media Basket with Filter Floss, stock biomedia, and a bag of carbon
Return Pump: Cobalt Aquatics Mini MJ-606
Heater: Hygger 50w Mini
Controller - Inkbird Temperature Controller
ATO - Water bottle ATO

Stocking
Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby
Pistol Shrimp
2 Astrea Snails
1 Spiny Star Astrea Snail
1 Emerald Crab

Corals
Eagle Eye, Orange Oxide, Sunny D, Scrambled Egg, Utter Chaos, Fruit Loops Zoas
Two green hammers, a blue hammer, and a gold hammer
Various mushrooms
Blastomusa
Various Acans
Monti Cap
Bubblegum Montipora Digitata

Here are some pics now!

20220630_155332.jpg 20220630_155350.jpg

My newest additions are from Reefapalooza NY which include the Fruit Loops, Digi, three acan frags, and two mushrooms
Cool tank, especially for being more of a pico. There's lots of folks just like you, on the Nano-Reef forums. I rarely see one in this condition, looking good!

Be aware that some of these corals will easily outgrow this tank and will sting your other corals. You do have a good layout for the size however I would start looking at the larger EVO "now".

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anything be done to help this Digi except hope and pray, looks like its lost alot of color and polyps compared to my last update
20220729_180125.jpg
This is the problem I was referring to in my last post. Stability required for SPS is really challenging in these smaller pico tanks. I too got the pico fever a decade ago when I saw a candy cane and some softies in older Fluval 2gal. The secret was this person had to care for it every evening and morning when they opened the store and it was never really "stable" for that reason.

I did get some in the larger EVO with a digi and BTS but I did have to remove the BTS and digi later on due to size. I wouldn't worry about uptake too much but you'll probably want to do some basic 2 part dosing, if you wish to keep this and up the flow. This will be hard in the smaller evo without hitting the other lower flow corals. It's just the size man, not your skills. ;-)

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool tank, especially for being more of a pico. There's lots of folks just like you, on the Nano-Reef forums. I rarely see one in this condition, looking good!

Be aware that some of these corals will easily outgrow this tank and will sting your other corals. You do have a good layout for the size however I would start looking at the larger EVO "now".
Thank you! I am definitely starting to notice some growth. Especially on one of the green hammers and on the orange oxide zoas. Seems like those zoas will eventually take over that whole rock!

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the problem I was referring to in my last post. Stability required for SPS is really challenging in these smaller pico tanks. I too got the pico fever a decade ago when I saw a candy cane and some softies in older Fluval 2gal. The secret was this person had to care for it every evening and morning when they opened the store and it was never really "stable" for that reason.

I did get some in the larger EVO with a digi and BTS but I did have to remove the BTS and digi later on due to size. I wouldn't worry about uptake too much but you'll probably want to do some basic 2 part dosing, if you wish to keep this and up the flow. This will be hard in the smaller evo without hitting the other lower flow corals. It's just the size man, not your skills. ;-)
I definitely struggle with getting this digi enough flow. It is in probably the highest flow section of the tank but I cannot add a powerhead without mutilating the other corals lol. I upgraded the return pump a while back which was a big boost. Also I think the main reason this digi looks so bad is because I cracked in when I was going to mount it to the rock. However, my monti cap also doesn't look so hot but I believe that is due to the low light it is getting (40 par). Thanks for your comment!!

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like red planaria flatworms. They can reproduce quick. Wrasse would help but tank too small. Flatworm exit will work but the worms is toxic once dead. Carbon will help.
Uh oh. Do they pose any threats to my tank inhabitants...or just an eyesore? I hope the latter...

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh. Do they pose any threats to my tank inhabitants...or just an eyesore? I hope the latter...
These are part of your microbiome, however they are the result of one that is out of balance. These are what are known as the miso cleanup crew. They perform basic functions of the biome, but like several at this level, they require something to keep them in check.

As I mentioned prior, you've got a lot in this size of a tank. Honestly, a natural predator is what you'll generally prefer but keeping it will not be possible. Something like a wrasse or possibly dragonet may keep them in check.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely struggle with getting this digi enough flow. It is in probably the highest flow section of the tank but I cannot add a powerhead without mutilating the other corals lol. I upgraded the return pump a while back which was a big boost. Also I think the main reason this digi looks so bad is because I cracked in when I was going to mount it to the rock. However, my monti cap also doesn't look so hot but I believe that is due to the low light it is getting (40 par). Thanks for your comment!!
Ooooo what did you upgrade the return pump to? I'm currently looking for a stronger pump for my evo five.

Also I love those Orange Oxide Zoanthids I so need a frag

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are part of your microbiome, however they are the result of one that is out of balance. These are what are known as the miso cleanup crew. They perform basic functions of the biome, but like several at this level, they require something to keep them in check.

As I mentioned prior, you've got a lot in this size of a tank. Honestly, a natural predator is what you'll generally prefer but keeping it will not be possible. Something like a wrasse or possibly dragonet may keep them in check.
What out of balance could cause an outbreak like this?

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooo what did you upgrade the return pump to? I'm currently looking for a stronger pump for my evo five.

Also I love those Orange Oxide Zoanthids I so need a frag
The return pump I got is the Cobalt Aquatics Mini MJ-606. Provides sooo much more flow than the stock pump. Also do you have a build thread for your evo? I would love to see yours!

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump I got is the Cobalt Aquatics Mini MJ-606. Provides sooo much more flow than the stock pump. Also do you have a build thread for your evo? I would love to see yours!
Yes, it's my normal build thread... just pass the part where I went from the ten to the twenty and stopped hobby then went to five

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back