shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9012.jpeg
IMG_9011.jpeg
I got this coral a few days ago and it’s already bleaching pretty bad. All parameters are good other than phosphate which is 0.78 could that be the cause? Other corals are doing good (LPS and softies)

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either chemical warfare is hurting it. Or…
Try having it higher up? Higher par..
maybe not enough flow?

another question is… I see it doesn’t have a plug… you used glue… problems I’ve had with that is… when I’ve cut sps and left it to heal the base, putting glue at the base ended up killing even new pieces of sps I’ve ever glued… idk if it’s a legitimate thing (just my experience) it’s better off gluing it the day the cut was made

It could be this or the other factors I mentioned about, flow, par, chemical warfare. Best of luck.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticks are so much fun. Great today, dead tomorrow. Sorry but that's how mine look when they are on the way out. I wish I could tell you why but I'm a stick newb it's a mystery to me. Every frag in the tank can be fine and out of the blue wake up in the morning and one is bone white with no flesh. I have managed to save one. I don't keep track of the losses just the wins.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post all of your parameters, not just phosphate.

How long has the tank been running? I don't see many other corals.

Any changes over the past few days?

Is it getting direct flow from a powerhead on the side that's losing tissue?

Sorry to say, but if that's tissue loss, then the prognosis is typically not good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_9012.jpeg
IMG_9011.jpeg
I got this coral a few days ago and it’s already bleaching pretty bad. All parameters are good other than phosphate which is 0.78 could that be the cause? Other corals are doing good (LPS and softies)
You have loss of tissue and likely from lack of acclimation, too much light upon introduction, a change in salinity, temperature and salt mixes. Additionally, Elevated phosphate, light and even new light and elevated alkalinity levels will be a higher risk to coral. Other minor factors will be low Dissolved oxygen, new corals especially leathers (which emit a toxin known as Terpenes), false test kit readings and newly added rock can alter chemistry.

OP
OP
S

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have loss of tissue and likely from lack of acclimation, too much light upon introduction, a change in salinity, temperature and salt mixes. Additionally, Elevated phosphate, light and even new light and elevated alkalinity levels will be a higher risk to coral. Other minor factors will be low Dissolved oxygen, new corals especially leathers (which emit a toxin known as Terpenes), false test kit readings and newly added rock can alter chemistry.
Makes sense. So drip acclimating corals is a
Must? I wasn’t acclimating them other than temp and then doing a dip. I also put it at the top of my tank and figured it would be fine bc it needed a lot of light. Calcium was 428 alkalinity 11 and magnesium 1335. Nitrate 3.8 phosphate 0.78 salinity 1.0255 light reed led50 run at near max (possibly a mistake)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Makes sense. So drip acclimating corals is a
Must? I wasn’t acclimating them other than temp and then doing a dip. I also put it at the top of my tank and figured it would be fine bc it needed a lot of light. Calcium was 428 alkalinity 11 and magnesium 1335. Nitrate 3.8 phosphate 0.78 salinity 1.0255 light reed led50 run at near max (possibly a mistake)
With light , start low and increase in small increments. Yoo much flow can be an issue also

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So drip acclimating corals is a
Must? I wasn’t acclimating them other than temp and then doing a dip.
This is all I do normally. Temp, dip and place. I do place them lower in the tank to start if I do not know the par they came from. If I know I try to match it. I test salinity but usually with coral its good. With fish many times it's very low and I'll drip.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back