OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I am totally stuck. I love this ATO. I cannot find anything that I think looks this sharp. But I do not need the drawer because I want to connect it directly to my RODI reservoir. I was thinking about how I could get a float valve installed.... Drilling the glass maybe? But the drawer is just wasted space. Any ideas on something that looks similar but is designed to be auto-topped off too and not filled using buckets or jugs?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some of the other ATO's I am looking at. But I can't really find everything that I am looking for. I may end up having to contact someone and asking for something custom. Really can't hide the high maintenance with this decision... LORD.

I will edit this post to update the manufactures I am looking at.

List of Requirements:
  • At least 10 gallons, would prefer 15.
  • Pretty narrow left to right, with more length front to back and top to bottom.
  • I want to put an ATO pump in it and would like to have a grommet for that tubing.
    • Probably the ATK V2.
    • This would ned a poor cord as well.
  • I want to have and ATO filling it from my water station.
    • If I suspect I'll use a Tunze, so I'll have to have two wires running into it for it's controls (High and low) And would like that to have a a seamless run in.
    • I trust float valves more than sensors, so if I could run the tubing from the water station through a float valve, I would feel safer.
  • A lid to help with evaporation.
  • A quick visual for water level.
  • A black color scheme. (Or some type of jewel tone, like a teal or DARK navy would be nice if I do go custom. Navy and gold? Toom much? probably! ;Hilarious)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are so sophisticated, when my return starts adding micro bubbles I dump a gallon or two of RO in, warm and salty! ;)

I like the term sophisticated to high maintenance... I'm sticking to that for now on! .... Still not a cat... ;Hilarious

giphy.gif

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the term sophisticated to high maintenance... I'm sticking to that for now on! .... Still not a cat... ;Hilarious

giphy.gif

My last bunny was called Harley Rabbitson, he was cool as unless you picked him up coz then he went all Tasmanian devil! ;)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's some of the other ATO's I am looking at. But I can't really find everything that I am looking for. I may end up having to contact someone and asking for something custom. Really can't hide the high maintenance with this decision... LORD.

I will edit this post to update the manufactures I am looking at.

List of Requirements:
  • At least 10 gallons, would prefer 15.
  • Pretty narrow left to right, with more length front to back and top to bottom.
  • I want to put an ATO pump in it and would like to have a grommet for that tubing.
    • Probably the ATK V2.
    • This would ned a poor cord as well.
  • I want to have and ATO filling it from my water station.
    • If I suspect I'll use a Tunze, so I'll have to have two wires running into it for it's controls (High and low) And would like that to have a a seamless run in.
    • I trust float valves more than sensors, so if I could run the tubing from the water station through a float valve, I would feel safer.
  • A lid to help with evaporation.
  • A quick visual for water level.
  • A black color scheme. (Or some type of jewel tone, like a teal or DARK navy would be nice if I do go custom. Navy and gold? Toom much? probably! ;Hilarious)
I have a Geo's Reef sump and love it! That said, none of these look like bad options.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Geo's Reef sump and love it! That said, none of these look like bad options.

I was also just looking at Acrylic habitats on Facebook. I really wish they had a website. They have some nice things too. I just want a place where all the cords can feed into so that I don't have a lid propped half open. I like that the geo's ATO has the hole with the swivel top.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is probably my favorite design. 2 things it's missing, a second bulk head and I wish there was a 15 gallon option. What size is your tank? and I often to do fill it up?

My current ATO is built into my sump and it's a little more than a gallon. I have to fill it almost every day. That makes it a tiny step above filling the tank myself from evaporation.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is probably my favorite design. 2 things it's missing, a second bulk head and I wish there was a 15 gallon option. What size is your tank? and I often to do fill it up?

My current ATO is built into my sump and it's a little more than a gallon. I have to fill it almost every day. That makes it a tiny step above filling the tank myself from evaporation.
I've got a 50g cube, and I fill my ATO about once a week. If you need something custom like a bulkhead, they're good about helping with that stuff.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know people hate cheap ATO's. But this has been nothing but a blessing for me:

i DO clean the sensor every month with a vinegar dip and scrub.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 50g cube, and I fill my ATO about once a week. If you need something custom like a bulkhead, they're good about helping with that stuff.

Just had an eureka moment.... I plan on having the ATO reservoir be auto toped off... I don't need a 15 gallon reservoir, because I shouldn't ever be touching it. I think I'll contact them and ask about the extra bulk head. If they can do that, then it's perfect!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know people hate cheap ATO's. But this has been nothing but a blessing for me:

I use an AutoAqua AWC. I like their stuff.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the ATO. I'm on the hunt for a larger reservoir. It will be sitting outside of the stand, so I'm being super picky about the aesthetics. lol

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ATO. I'm on the hunt for a larger reservoir. It will be sitting outside of the stand, so I'm being super picky about the aesthetics. lol

OOOHHH, I just use the 5G's all the LFS' have.

Super sturdy, and easy to drill a hole in the lid. :).

TLDR whole thread, do you have a space confinement?

I drilled 2 holes with a 3/8 Drill bit in about 2 seconds.

Not as pretty by any means as a custom ATO. But works so well for the price. Also still see through so no worries about levels.

Photo:

939E093B-FBF5-42ED-A212-EAFB9BDF02AF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOHHH, I just use the 5G's all the LFS' have.

Super sturdy, and easy to drill a hole in the lid. :).

TLDR whole thread, do you have a space confinement?

Nope. Just upgrading from my built in 7 liter sump ato. I want to put it outside of my stand, so more concerned about the aesthetics than anything. lol. I just contacted geo and acrylic habitats. Hopefully I'll get n order placed with one of them in the next day or two.

I'm aware I'm totally being precious about it.

giphy.gif

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol reading more of your posts now and I get what you’re looking for sorry.

Someone
Nope. Just upgrading from my built in 7 liter sump ato. I want to put it outside of my stand, so more concerned about the aesthetics than anything. lol. I just contacted geo and acrylic habitats. Hopefully I'll get n order placed with one of them in the next day or two.

I'm aware I'm totally being precious about it.

giphy.gif

I read more of your posts XDDD

haha yeah I get the visual as a bonus.

For ease someone also suggested once something like this:

You might be able to find a prettier one I'm sure fancy people with dogs like nice food storage as well. Plus is the wheels so you could have 20G easy and just roll it around. Im always shopping for workable budget options since the coral are so pricey already XDDD

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just using a 29 gallon aquarium from PetCo's "Dollar-A-Gallon" sale. I painted the exterior blue (you could paint your glass navy blue and the trim gold :)) and will drill my own small bulkheads. This is a 5 gallon similar version of what I will be doing for my 125.

5GallonATO-1.jpg

And the 29 gallon. I will be making a glass or matching blue PVC sheet top for it.

DSC09829.JPG

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.1%
Back