Bleigh's 60 gallon cube

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s rimless. If I had drilled it as close as possible to the edge of the glass, it would have been too close to the edge, according to some things I read. But I wasn’t sure how close you could get it.

I probably could have been a bit closer to the edge, but it’s done and it didn’t break!

44088062-7C47-46BA-AC17-54997306F8B3.jpeg
Nice work!!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WWC live sales are fun, I have been showing up for years, I picked up two. The live sales are a lot tamer than they used to be. I hope you scored some good pieces and we will see then in you cube grown out soon.
For sure! I loved it last time too. I think I’d sit there the entire time even if I didn’t buy anything. Although, it’s hard to not buy things when the prices are so good and you’re having a good time. Lol

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s quick! Skills! Took me 10ish I think on my 40b.
Lol. Well that was per hole. I’ve watched a ton of videos of people doing it. It may have taken longer.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same dilemma. 2 sides against the wall...
I think I’m going to actually put it in a different location entirely. I was going to have a similar issue with it being next to the stairs. So only 2 sides had an unobstructed view. The new location will only have the back against the wall.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the top yesterday. Going to start working on staining it here shortly. So excited! I really hope to have water in this thing by the end of the week.

E5BABB13-2BF8-4B7D-BF73-3CA6F0AC9675.jpeg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my computer desk from that Lowe's butcher block! It turned out so well I had to make another for the better half :)

What color stain you going with?

I need to clean up my room...
CCC2766E-BFD9-4CA6-A452-4FD5C1ACF0EA.jpeg

That looks nice! Happy to see that it’s a good choice. Ebony.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'll look great when it's done! I think this was a dark walnut stain, even with wood conditioner it still took 3 coats to get it as dark as I wanted. I used the bottom side as a test panel to figure it out :) It took all weekend with drying between coats then adding poly.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'll look great when it's done! I think this was a dark walnut stain, even with wood conditioner it still took 3 coats to get it as dark as I wanted. I used the bottom side as a test panel to figure it out :) It took all weekend with drying between coats then adding poly.
Nice! Yeah, I have bench seating right next to where it will go that are black. Luckily, the return pump isn’t here yet, so I have time for it to dry.

Getting ready to cut out a side panel to access the sump easier.

3B9A605C-F722-46A0-94EC-13969359E6BB.jpeg

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY sure is satisfying when it's done and it turns out as expected! I'm guessing you have a pretty decent collection of tools, but if there's something you need just ask.

Routers, saws, trim nail gun, pocket screw jig, etc. :)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg! I just spent SOOOO much money on plumbing. I bought a bunch of the regular pipes from Home Depot to do a mock up, then bought blue pvc pipes and schedule 80 connectors from bulk reef supply to make sure it would all look nice. I have several unions and Spears gates and I think I thought of everything. I’ll post a picture of it all once I connect what I got but before I glue it all together. Maybe I’ll put the mock up back together once the paint on the back of the tank dries to get everyone’s opinions. Here’s a picture Midway though... only one I thought to take.

31C8BB38-8306-48B2-8640-11C5C29F5A85.jpeg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the build thread B, definitely tagging along. Super stoked to see this progress.
Thank you! I can’t wait to see some progress either. :) Hope to get the back of the tank painted today so it can be nice a cured for when the plumbing arrives tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it wet this weekend!!!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY sure is satisfying when it's done and it turns out as expected! I'm guessing you have a pretty decent collection of tools, but if there's something you need just ask.

Routers, saws, trim nail gun, pocket screw jig, etc. :)

Thanks for the offer! I need to get a kit for putting the side cabinet door on. But I think that’s about 5 dollars. I now am the proud owner of two diamond glass hole cutters if you ever need one. One is for 1 inch bulkheads and the other is for 3/4 inch bulkheads. Buying those do seem silly if you’re not going to be doing anymore glass cutting afterwards.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love this so far! I'm really excited for you.

Thank you! It’s so nice to have people to be excited with. My friends are all like, your tank is pretty, and that’s the end of the conversation. They say it earnestly and some people even bring up that they like seeing my tank on Instagram. But I think it’s hard for it to be a conversation when someone has no knowledge and the other person has almost no knowledge (me). :D

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the poly coats. I think this top looks sharp. I’m thinking about off setting it like this. I have a cabinet door to attach to left. I’d like it to be easily accessible. I thought that would give me space to put a control panel and/or hooks for equipment with the longer overhang on the right. What do y’all think?

780DFAA1-8110-4198-8CF2-F9D54949098B.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the poly coats. I think this top looks sharp. I’m thinking about off setting it like this. I have a cabinet door to attach to left. I’d like it to be easily accessible. I thought that would give me space to put a control panel and/or hooks for equipment with the longer overhang on the right. What do y’all think?

780DFAA1-8110-4198-8CF2-F9D54949098B.jpeg
I think it looks awesome. I love the hardwood floors too ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back