Blennies Keep Going into Wav Pumps

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank with two wav pumps and they are simply too much power. Given this I have the pumps alternate multiple times a day to keep the water moving in all parts of the tank. That was working well until a Blenny decided it was a good idea to sleep in the pump which promptly turned on and took him out. Then the other day I saw another one in there. They are going through the front of the wav pump cover when they are off. The issue is even with both wav's at 1% they are blasting everything in the tank.

Any thoughts on how to prevent more deaths?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more blennies? Blennies always look for an out of the way spot to hide.. a non running powerhead fits the bill nicely.... Till it doesn't...
Worst case keep the pumps running at all times even if only at 1%

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more blennies? Blennies always look for an out of the way spot to hide.. a non running powerhead fits the bill nicely.... Till it doesn't...
Worst case keep the pumps running at all times even if only at 1%

Yep. Blennies (at least the algae eating ones) like to "perch". You will never stop them. And they like to perch from the highest point they can park their behind on. Only thing you can do is run them slow as recommended or replace them with smaller ones.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Smaller pumps or Nem covers?? What kind of wav pump?
Our blenny loves to perch on the glass cleaner but the powerhead runs 24/7 with an automatic nighttime mode.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have my WAV pumps turn off completely if for no other reason than it eliminates the audible click when the pump starts/stops. But perhaps that's also why I've never had a problem with my blenny.

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find my midas in the WAV pumps EVERY SINGLE TIME I shut them down for maintenance and I have to throw food in the tank to get him out before I start them back up. I also run both my WAVs constantly so its not something I have to deal with often.

I would try maybe get some plastic mesh and zip tie it around the WAV pump or maybe you can find a mesh cover from another pump company that fits?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya you don't want them turning off on a regular basis. It's always stressful for me turning my pumps back on after maintenance because I don't know what's hanging out in them.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they need the “anemone” treatment. You could probably get some birdnetting used for screen tops and make some covers that would keep the blennies at bay all while not impacting flow too much.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank with two wav pumps and they are simply too much power. Given this I have the pumps alternate multiple times a day to keep the water moving in all parts of the tank. That was working well until a Blenny decided it was a good idea to sleep in the pump which promptly turned on and took him out. Then the other day I saw another one in there. They are going through the front of the wav pump cover when they are off. The issue is even with both wav's at 1% they are blasting everything in the tank.

Any thoughts on how to prevent more deaths?
They like the holes to sleep in. Could you use panty hose and a zip tie?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back