Blenny biting coral

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recorded a time lapse and found my bicolor blenny biting my leptoseris. It's there a way to stop this because I really like the fish.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies sometimes eat coral, you can try feeding more so the blenny is less likely to no other corals, but once it starts it’s not likely to stop with that coral. You may have to pick between this blenny and some corals

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recorded a time lapse and found my bicolor blenny biting my leptoseris. It's there a way to stop this because I really like the fish.
I had an issue with my bi color Blenny. It constantly went after my toadstool leather polyps and then a ginopora. The corals were located near his sleeping spot. I ended up moving both the corals away to new spots and chased him away a few times with a long feeder. I put the long feeder in his usual sleeping spot to send a message and to be honest it has worked out so far. Both corals are now thriving and the Blenny is good.. so far.. I always supplement seaweed or macro algae from my refugium to discourage coral nipping. Good luck!

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies sometimes eat coral, you can try feeding more so the blenny is less likely to no other corals, but once it starts it’s not likely to stop with that coral. You may have to pick between this blenny and some corals
Thanks, I'll try to feed mysis instead of dried food to encourage it to eat other things. I also have nori available at all times. Tbh I really like blennies even though I didn't have a need for one. I like their personalities. However my urchin and emerald does such a nice job that it may have caused it to search other food. I guess it didn't notice the back wall full of algae to eat though (kept it dirty on purpose)

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one and it started on my monti digis, it went back to the shop.

Do you still own blennys then? I'm getting annoyed as it eats corals and none of what I offer... Is there a guaranteed coral safe blennys?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still own blennys then? I'm getting annoyed as it eats corals and none of what I offer... Is there a guaranteed coral safe blennys?

I have a midas now in my big tank, not such a good algae eater but my jewel blenny turned rogue and started killing fish!

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail Spot, when I looked into blenny's this was the only one I could find that didn't pick on things except for algae.
Been in my tank almost a year
TAILSPOT 1-17-20.jpg

KozyTRMNDS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail Spot, when I looked into blenny's this was the only one I could find that didn't pick on things except for algae.
Been in my tank almost a year
TAILSPOT 1-17-20.jpg
Just wanted to bump this thread and respond that a tailspoy is also not reef safe. I’ve ran into one eating scoly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back